Does anyone here have a photographic memory?

I can tell you what ingredients are in my kitchen, how the container is oriented, how much of each I have, and where it is. And my kitchen is not particularly orderly. If the kids would stay the hell out of the garage I could do the same with tools & car maintenance stuff (a notable exception: I have no idea where my 12 mm wrenches get to but I can never find one when I need it). Otherwise I have a horrible memory. It’s a common joke but this year I really did manage to order myself a Christmas present, and was surprised when I opened it.

I’ve been told (by friends who studied psychology and such things) that I probably have an eidetic memory, at least for some things. For example, once I’ve driven to a location, I can always get back there – however, if I’ve only been there in the daytime, I can get lost trying to get there at night (possibly because things look differently). Similarly, I have a very good memory for faces, but a mediocre-to-poor memory for names.

All of that said, it’s something that definitely has weakened over time, especially after turning 40.

Um … what was the question?