Does "Deliberately Distorted" = "Lied"

Love the italics.

And that’s why it’s important for mods to have rules they follow and not constantly be falling back on personal judgment. Judgment of course has merit, but it cannot be used when you are yourself involved. Because it’s the very nature of personal judgment to make excuses for yourself but not for others.

Deliberate disingenuousness is an accusation of lying. A lie is an attempt to mislead. If an accusation of lying is forbidden, then, by it’s nature, so must be accusations of deliberate disingenuousness. If one is attacking the poster instead of the post, so is the other.

This needs to be a hard rule, or else it will always be open to letting mods get away with things that others cannot.

The alternative, of course, would be to treat the word “lie” itself as sacrosanct, but then people will just do what they do in the Pit and come up with other ways to say the exact same thing. As, in effect, the mod in question did.

He accused a guy of lying because that guy didn’t think he was mistaken.

The only reference I can find in the last two years is this thread which isn’t anything like that for the poster in question.

Or Charlie Brown and the football.

Regards,
Shodan

1. If you presented such assertions in that way you know you would get a warning, right?

2. A lie is an inaccuracy presented knowingly with an intent to deceive. That’s 3 components. Disingenuousness often lacks the intent to deceive. I’ve been accused of it here in that manner. Correctly. It happens when I inject humor into my argument, something which is also in the tradition of Cecil.

2b. (I am sometimes unclear whether my correspondent got wooshed (one possibility) or whether he was clarifying and disentangling my legitimate points from my overblown rhetoric (another).)

1. There’s something known as diplomacy. Certain words automatically derail threads. Others do not. Hypothetically consider two exact synonyms. One derails threads, the other doesn’t. Nobody knows why. In such a case it would be appropriate to mod the thread derailer.

This isn’t about super-sensitive dispositions. It’s about fighting ignorance and keeping the conversation on track. We have many bad behaviors here. Insults are one. But so is intentional distortion of off-site articles and the convenient fun-house mirror misrepresentation of what posters wrote on a previous page. So the rules and guidelines will necessarily be the result of some compromise among competing considerations.

You’re using the word “disingenuous” in a way that is similar to sarcastic which is not how I think most people use that word. Most times it carries an implication of maliciousness iny mind, a synonym would be lying.
That’s how I interpret it.

Well, I didn’t think so either, which is why I often used it. But the ruling has been made, and it is deemed to be equivalent to “you are lying”, so that’s the way it is.

Saying someone is being deliberately disingenuous seems to me to include an accusation of intent.

Regards,
Shodan

Although the original phrase in question was “deliberately distorted,” not “deliberately disingenuous.”

Well… Saying somebody is lying is prohibited by the rules of the House of Representatives I think. So the word disingenuous gets thrown around a lot. It’s a fig leaf. As time as gone on, it’s been interpreted as a thin fig leaf.

I would argue that the term has some plausible deniability to it.

Usage “experiment”:
Here’s a sample post from 2013:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=16467730&postcount=1

Emphasis added. He is criticizing those claiming that Snowden is a human rights defender: he is saying that they are bullshitting or blowing smoke. They are not lying exactly, because this is a matter of definition and privacy plausibly falls in the human rights category. They are engaging in rhetoric and need to be called out as… disingenuous. Karl could have called his opponents liars because it was the OP and he was attacking somebody off this message board. But it would have looked weird.

So yeah, there’s a distinction here and distinctions matter.

(I don’t agree with Karl as it happens, but I’m discussing usage here, not substance.)

You are correct - my apologies. But I think the point still stands.

Regards,
Shodan

Sure. But not necessarily an intent to deceive. I was deliberately disingenuous in my post about FIFA. I did not intend to deceive anyone, though admittedly I am aware that some won’t pick up on my antics. But that’s the nature of a message board: not everyone is attuned to irony.

Isn’t the deliberate part superfluous? It’s not like some can be unintentionally disingenuous. Look at the first definition and synonyms from google:

None of that is unintentional.

I tend to agree that it is superfluous, but it served the function in this case of removing doubt as to the nature of the accusation - the poster made it clear that the distortion was done neither innocently or in error, but with an intent to deceive.

Perhaps he thought he might be misunderstood, and wished to emphasize that it was meant as an accusation of bad faith.

Regards,
Shodan

Yeah, I don’t know how we ended up talking about “disingenuous” rather than “distorted”. The latter is in the OP, the former not.

See Post #5

I said I wouldn’t have a problem with it. :smiley:

Issues with unpleasant fixes tend to remain unresolved. That doesn’t mean they aren’t still problems.

Yes, I saw it. Why people want to focus on that instead of the actual topic of the OP is what I meant. It’s a different word and means something different.

ok, but ISTM that accusing someone of deliberately distorting is still accusing them of lying. It has the same elements of dishonesty and conscious intent.

Regards,
Shodan

Sorry–I didn’t mean in doing that to change the topic. At the same time, I think both accusations are fairly similar. Even though “disingenuous” can apparently mean “ironic” and not have an element of deception in it, I’ve never seen it used that way in GD. And “distorted” has a similar element of deception.

If you want some irony, even though I’m coming down against the use of “distorted” and “disingenuous,” I made what’s tantamount to an accusation of similar behavior, when I quoted a passage from the OP and then followed the links contained in the passage and showed how the OP’s description of those links was, while technically accurate, not remotely a fair connotative description of those links. I believe he distorted the content of those links and said as much.

And then I used the word “disingenuous” to describe his actions.

Let me step carefully out of this glass house I find myself in.

“Sir, I believe you have unintentionally distorted the situation.”

“You mean I made a mistake?”

“I’m … not … sure.”