Does Ed Brown have legal standing?

But he wants to do that without being dirt-poor and living in a crime-ridden housing project. Can’t have your cake and eat it, Ed.

Plenty of people who are not dirt-poor and who do not live in public housing do not pay income taxes. You can earn a decent amount of money (especially if you have a few kids) and still be exempt from paying income taxes.

Look at the picture of Brown in the link, then read this –

He’s Dale Gribble! More Dale.

From the story linked in the OP:

Is that just generical bluster, or does he have something specific in mind, I wonder?

Ed Brown’s latest message to the world.

From the Wikipedia article on Brown:

This might put the Feds in a difficult situation. They have to arrest him if the court orders it, but forcing their way in (even if that did not result in any injuries) would invite comparisons to certain events during the Clinton Admin . . .

Update: He’s still holed up, believe it or not. And his wife has rejoined him in defiance of a court order.

You have GOT to see his MySpace page:

here

Please send gas masks, body armor and "1 Female 2-4 yrs old Doberman Pitcher dog
"

This is not going to end well.

That joke about “extra extreme” and “super extreme” items on his wish list was kinda cute. Except… what… does he have a little kid in there with him?

-Kris

When they came for the batshit crazies, I said nothing; after all, I am not batshit crazy…

So who are all the people who support what this guy is doing? I mean, Ed and Elaine Brown’s motivation is fairly clear; they wanted to have more money than was possible under the present system, and they don’t want to go to jail for it. I obviously don’t agree with them, but at least I see why. But what of all of the posters to their website responding with messages of agreement and support? What…? why…? who…?

<wanders away muttering in confusion>

His myspace blog offering $1,000,000 to anyone who can show him the law that says he has to pay income tax:

The response:

Ed Brown’s reply:

It’s not the law? The U.S. Code is not the law??!? :smack:

That is exactly the tax-protestors’ position – that certain parts of the U.S. Code are not the law. For their reasoning, such as it is, see the links in post #13.

I still can’t wrap my head around it, though. Some of the tax protester arguments at least make tortured crazy-sense if you squint hard enough, but arguing that the law is not the law just blows my mind. It’s just a willful, fundamental misunderstanding of what a “code” actually is.

Yeah, it’s a weird mindset. On the one hand, the Illuminati have tricked the American people into giving up their freedoms and submitting to the illegal income tax. On the other hand, all you have to do is point out to the Illuminati judge that the income tax is illegal, and you won’t have to pay it. They’ll just let you go.

Except, if the Illuminati really have taken over the United States and have desecrated the constitution, the fact that paying income tax is illegal is meaningless. The judge is still going to have you thrown in jail, the prison guards are still going to keep you there, the banks are still going to turn over your assets on orders from the government.

So the legalistic tax evasion theories are just stupid. If you take as a premise that the income tax is an illegal deprivation of your rights, how can you imagine that more illegal deprivations of your rights won’t ensue if you avoid paying the illegal tax? You can’t tell Tony Soprano you’re not going to pay him his protection money and not expect him to send some wise guys over to bounce a baseball bat off your favorite skull.

But look, if 'Federal Reserve Notes" are not real money, they you can pretend to pay the illegal taxes in illegal “Notes” and nobody would be the wiser!

I feel for you. I’ve had to deal with the occasional correspondent who explains that when Britain passed the Statute of Westminster in 1931, it was abandoning sovereignty over Her Majesty’s Ship Canada, so under admiralty law each resident of said HMS Canada has the right to re-claim their sovereignty by way of salvage, and laws passed by the de facto Parliament and Legislatures do not apply without a wilful assumpsit by said sovereign citizens…

I could go on, but I don’t want to explode your head.

Why should an argument that the law is not the law blow your mind necessarily? An argument that Superman is not Superman could be perfectly sanely and reasonably made: by Lois Lane, arguing “Clark Kent is not Superman!”

Lane does not believe Kent is Superman, and Evaders do not believe Title 26 is The Law. Nothing particularly insane about that in and of itself.

-FrL-

Perhaps, but when everybody around her says “actually, Lois, Clark Kent is Superman,” and Clark Kent himself says “yeah, it’s true, I am Superman,” and he demonstrates by removing and redonning his glasses several times, rearranging his forehead curl, and unbuttoning his shirt to reveal the big S logo on his chest, and she still stamps her foot and refuses to accept it, it might be appropriate to begin questioning her sanity, or at least her sincerity.

Sure but that’s at least slightly different than what you said before. :wink:

-FrL-

so, rather than force their way in…

Say they sieze the land he’s on for back taxes and build a mini-federal prison there. Just put a wall all the way around the house as close as they can safely get and put barbed wire at the top. Then station one corrections officer outside the wall. let him do his time right there.