Does "LOVE" mean different things to strt women, strt men, lesbians, gay men?

Sure, just like if I can’t make a pure distinction about board games that then tennis and monopoly must be equivocated.

I admit different uses of the word “love”. I do not admit casual descriptions as summing up those uses, for in order to make such casual descriptions we must already understand the situations to which they apply, in which case what are we clarifying? That is what I don’t accept, and that is why it is a hijack. When someone says they love literature, nothing of a sexual nature crosses my mind. Why should it? And does the situation become any clearer if one calls it “flugenfagen” as some kind of class of feeling love? Why?

Then why did you submarine this discussion if you knew that we meant eros — sexual love? You wrote: “I don’t accept the whole “agape” “eros” stuff to begin with, so maybe we shoudl start there…” Well, we started there, and now we’ve ended with you saying: “I admit different uses of the word ‘love’.” Can we just go forward now with a mutual understanding of what is being discussed?

Sure, sexual love is sexual love period, we all understand it, question answered.

Ohhhh, you mean that was part of what was under discussion to begin with? :wink:

Polycarp’s nailed it on the head there for me. There is definitely everything from slight nuance to canyon for individuals but that doesn’t fall along the lines of sexuality.

I have never figured out what true love is.
One thing may work for one and fail with someone else.
I feel it is different for different partners.
You learn to love each person different according to their needs. I think the mind is the most powerful thing.
A meeting of the minds would be love in my book. 0887

Okay, so most of you believe that love is a little bit customized for each individual, but we all overlap in the bulk of it, and being male or female or gay or straight or bi makes no important difference.

So why are there “chick flicks” (I don’t approve of the term either) aimed at women, emphasizing relationship-family-romance issues; and by contrast “action flicks” and graphic sex farces aimed at young males?

Why does a disproportionately large number of gay men go after sex relationships barely leavened by “nurturing, commitment, and affection” (and sex clubs cater exclusively to males), while a disproportionately large number of lesbian women get into secure, lasting relationships even in the face of (what a man whould regard as) mediocre sex (and there are no sex clubs for lesbians, far as I know)?

How can love mean the same thing to differing groups of people when the interpersonal behavior within such groups appears to be so systematically different? Either: they define “love” in striking different ways AS A GROUP; or they define it similarly, but assign it higher or lower priority… But it seems to me that its priority in one’s life counts as PART of its definition, doesn’t it?

Expressions of sexuality differ. JFTR, for a significant period my wife and I spent evenings with our friend Barb, who regularly watched Lifetime Original Movies. I found that I often got caught up in the human drama of them; usually, they left my wife cold, with no real interest. Adolescent boys are socially expected to find raunchy jokes funny; girls are (or at least were) not. (But when I’ve come to know a woman well enough, I find that her sense of humor is quite as raunchy as mine.)

This is not true. No, I don’t have any direct cites, but several of my female friends attend (in particular leather) clubs that are more-or-less exclusively female, and there’s always also Olympic Gardens in Las Vegas which has a floor of female strippers and a floor of male strippers. Or so I understand - I’ve not been there.

This is going to start out tangential and get to point eventually, really.

It’s very interesting sometimes to see how the interactions of social stereotypes wind up when confronted with real, actual people.

I’m polyamorous; one of the more common responses I get to this among people who don’t know anything about it is something along the lines of, “How horrible that your husband forced you into this.” The fact that I was the driving force behind the openness of our relationship is something that a lot of people seem to be unable to comprehend, because they’re caught up in the idea that women have some sort of innate calling to be monogamous and settled and men have an innate calling to be promiscuous and seek variety.

The other response I get at that point is something like, “So when will you have sex with me/my partner?” Because, apparently, the social notion that anyone who is not in a closed monogamous relationship is sexually available to anyone who expresses an interest.

Then there are the men I know who are tired of being thought of as being perpetually sexually available or uninterested in forming serious relationships – which interacts weirdly with the social presumptions that are tangled up in my Aggravation #2 above for those who are in open or multiple relationships.

Of the people I know who are actively uninterested in serious or committed relationships at the moment, but who want to have casual sexual and/or romantic liasons, all but one are female. Of the longest-term successful relationships I know of, one of the ones I can think of right off the top of my head is between a pair of gay men. I know one couple who, should they successfully have children, will have their father staying at home and house-husbanding, as is his preference and natural inclination, while mom is the primary income.
Love doesn’t mean anything to groups of people.

Love means something to specific, individual people.

Why demographics differ is a nature/nurture question that I don’t think anyone’s smart enough to unravel. And even if one could come down and say “Women are really more likely to want to watch chick flicks”, that doesn’t mean that I, as a specific example of a woman, am going to be more interested in seeing that stupid Titanic crap than going to a Jackie Chan flick.

I repeat what I said above, in summation: for any given type of love or style of relationship, there will be people of all different dynamics who want it or at least who experience it. Which forms of love or types of relationship approach will depend upon the people, not some abstracted presumptions about what their adjectives mean.

Some additional comments relevant to this topic are over on General Questions, “Gay vs. Straight Sex”.

Love is such a cultural phenomenon, that no matter what lines you choose to break down the human race along, love is going to mean different things to the different groups. F’rinstance:

Does “LOVE” mean different things to teenagers, young adults, middle aged people, and the elderly?

Well, yeah.

Does “LOVE” mean different things to the English, Americans, Russians, and the Chinese?

Um, sure.

Does “LOVE” mean different things to jocks, geeks, couch potatoes, and stoners?

Yup.

See, your perception of love is not just a function of your sexuality, though that’s a major part of it. It’s a function of your culture, your family, your experiences growing up, your parents’ relationships (both to each other and to you), your level of hormonal activity, your outgoingness, and a vast array of other factors. If you break down humanity along almost any lines, those divisions will demarcate a difference in how love is perceived, because those very divisions affect the individuals and their attitudes toward love.

Mr. Viz, you are one of those who I was hoping would respond, as you are clearly a “person of passion.”

The consensus: if there are any characteristic differences between these groups in what they mean by “Love,” those differences are pretty much submerged by all the other sources of difference and variation.

So no embittered straight women or gay men want to tell me that “men think love is a good lay”?

And no disgruntled straight men or lesbians are burning to say that “women think a good lay is love”?

Ok everybody!

Love’s exciting and new,
Come aboard, we’re expecting you.
The Love Boat!

And here’s your friendly neighborhood linkety-link-link-link.

This link provided in part by The Straight Dope Message Boards, and Viewers Like You.

Esprix

What I have to say has essentially been said, but I feel the need to blabber anyway…

Love is a word of great flexability. Because of this, any arguement or hypothesis must have its specific definition associated with it or be found unsound. 
 This means that the question, "What is love?" must be asked first. Otherwise the result is nothing but a series of equivocations stemming from the non-definition of love.
 All this put aside...
 Homosexuals and Heterosexuals do not have different feelings of love. It is only the Gender of the person they are loving that is different. The Love to Gender relationship stops at being nothing more than verb to noun.