Does Money Buy Happiness?

I can say that if I had more money, it would improve my happiness. I’m in college, and my tuituion, rent and food is paid for. I have wonderful parents. But anything else I want comes from me. So, like most college students, I have a part time job. If I want new clothes, gotta work. If I want beer or cigarettes, gotta work. If I want a new car, gotta work. If I want to buy more camera equipment (which I really do), gotta work. If I want to put gas in my car, gotta work. You get it.

If I just had a nice lump sum of money (say I cleared $50,000 or so in the lottery) I would be happier mainly because my stress level would go down drastically (no more balancing school, work and social life) and for once I wouldn’t have to save to buy a pair of jeans or a new camera lens or a case of beer. I make $8.25 an hour at my current job, but I dislike my job and cannot work too much because my grades are important. This was the only job out of 11 I applied for that I actually got a callback and an offer. Balancing school and work is where the majority of my stress comes from. So if I did not have to work during college and was still able to spend, well that would rule. Maybe I am shallow, buy buying things I want makes me happy. If I could go out and buy the Gap jeans I have my eye on and the North Face fleece I like, and the new wide angle camera lens I really want and the other seasons of CSI on DVD and some new Pumas, it would definitely improve my mood. If I were to buy all of these things, it would take me quite a long time to save up. Just having a lump sum or finding a fun job that didn’t stress me out and that pays more would improve my happiness.

But without all that, I survive. If I were at home where my family and friends are, that would also improve my happiness. So it’s not everything. Having more money is just one less thing to worry about.

Having a happy life is about fulfilling a number of critical needs; security, love, self-worth, family, etc. Actually, those are pretty much the big ones.

Lacking any one of them can make you very unhappy indeed. All the money in the world wouldn;t replace my family. On the other hand, if I had my family and no money, the stress of being unable to support them would also make me unhappy.

Having some money - to a point, of course, there being diminishing returns past a certain point - is necessary to having a reasonably happy life. But it’s also necessary to have some love, some personal purpose, etc. etc. Unfortunately, you can’t make up for one with another.

Who said life was easy?

Paris Hilton?

I’ve never seen her frowning.

Like the great American philosopher Christopher Wallace once said “Mo’ money, mo’ problems.”

Paris Hilton frowns. She’s gotta see a closed Louis Vuitton store SOMEWHERE on the globe.