Does one get used to the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners?

The taste (and aftertaste) of the fake stuff never bothered me, but I’m not a big sugar fan. I don’t even know if I could figure out which was which (real sugar or any of the fakes) with a blind taste test.

I don’t eat either anymore anyway.

I always detested saccharine, but have never noticed anything to distinguish Splenda from sugar in terms of taste. Our family has made lemonade from bottled juice using Splenda, but find it too “smooth” – seeming too much like lemon Kool-aid or some similar mix. Nowadays we use a 5:1-or-so mix of Splenda to sugar, diminishing the calories while giving the lemonade what seems to us more like the appropriate “texture”.

I agree with the different taste buds. Just look at how different people react to “spicy” foods. I hate the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners, too, and it ruins my whole coffee mug.

Have you tried Coke Zero?

I’ve never tried caffeine pills or Coke Zero. I don’t like regular Coke though. Coke’s better than Pepsi but I only drink those if it’s my only option and I’m thirsty.

By caffeine pills do you mean like No-Doz? Someone gave me one in high school and for an hour or two people were asking me what was wrong cause I wouldn’t shut up. Soda does not do that to me.

What about coffee? A single No-Doze (and most other caffeine pills) has 200mg of caffeine, roughly the same as a (largish) cup of coffee. A cola has closer to 35 to 50mg.

I don’t mind artificial sweeteners in drinks. In fact, I can’t drink regular soda anymore; it’s like drinking a can of maple syrup.

But every time I’ve tried baking with Splenda, the results have been less than spectacular. Frequently bordering on inedible. So, I’ll stick with “natural” ingredients there…

Diet soda tastes (to me) like industrial waste.
I can’t drink it-plain soda water is better.

This was my experience as well. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy. As a first-time mom I had also given up caffeine completely, so my beverage choices after that were limited to water or unsweetened herbal tea. I also gave up sugary treats completely. After about two months of this, I finally caved and ordered a Diet Coke with my dinner one night, and oh man, it was like the best thing in the world. I am someone who had previously thought that artificial sweeteners were gross and had a terrible aftertaste, btw.

I’ve been using artificial sweeteners for going on 8 years now, and am completely used to it. Although I don’t tend to use them in baked goods, much. Just in my coffee and tea, and diet soda pop. Maybe it’s more noticeable in baked goods?

I actually had an attack today while at school and got a mocha out of the machine. I kinda hate coffee but the mocha wasn’t bad and my headache is mostly gone.

Exactly.In fact after about a month, sugared soda starts to taste weird. Note, in order to experience this, you must give up sugared soda 100% for that time.

I agree with the different taste buds theory. My husband without meaning oto bought some yogurts that were sweetened with nutrasweet or splenda. I took one bite and knew instnatly and asked him not to get that brand/style again. He said he didn’t notice any difference.