Does the word "coward" apply?

I think many of you are pointing out a difference between “a coward” and “a cowardly act”. I personally feel that they (the hijackers) were both cowards and performed a cowardly act, but that’s just my opinion.

Here’s a thought:

If someone walked into a McDonalds and screamed “Die infidels!”, then shot everyone in the place, then shot himself, would he be a coward? (I think so.) Would it “take guts” to do so? (I think so.)

Death, for some, is “the easy way out”. It appears, for these fanatics, that death was more than that; it was a way to a holy land. So while it may have “taken guts” to do what these psychos did, and certainly a steely resolve, I think none of them would have done it had they lived to face the wrath of America.

Obviously some are arguing semantics, which they have every right to do. But is it really important to make this point and further aggravate others emotional well being? Especially now?

If there is bravery in this action, then there would be dozens of anti-USA groups claiming credit. The fact that nobody surviving, even bin Laden, is claiming credit is and indicator of the callous, cowardly approach these conspirators have.