Dog germs! How best to treat small punctures from dog bites? (Needed answer fast)

Knock the dog’s teeth out. :wink:

I’ve always used and heard this as synonymous with “schmekele” (which is a diminutive of “schmuck,” not literally but figuratively in some settings to refer to a dick [little here], but now my research says different.

Apologies to all concerned.

I was a little surprised at how many people in this thread were recommending hydrogen peroxide, since I thought I remembered reading that it does more harm than good on a wound, killing healthy cells and interfering with the healing process. Here’s one cite I found.

And the harm of alcohol, from same cite?

First of all, there is no danger in irrigating wounds with tap water. Cite

I am going to guess that the infection you got as a child was due to either the glass that entered your eye, or much more likely, your grubby little 9 year old paws.

The harm of alcohol is the same as hydrogen peroxide. They are both cytotoxic. Meaning they kill cells, both the bacteria and your already presumably damaged body’s cells.

The argument that I have seen for using* diluted* hydrogen peroxide in wounds is that the bubbling helps to debride and remove the bits of foreign material that may be in the wound. That being said, I haven’t used it in an open wound in more than 10 years.

Mr.Wrekker had an open wound we had to keep bandages on. The doc said to get betadine and clean around the wound and put on the dressing. He was on oral antibiotics, also. It wasn’t a dog bite. It was a nasty cut from fencing that he neglected to tend to at the time.

Swordfighting-type fencing or barbed-wire-type fencing?

Wow, that’s a few of the things I was taught pushed to the wayside! That deserves further research when I have time (and before I hurt myself again).

Mr.Wrekker is a bit less refined, (let’s just say too much a redneck) for fencing with swords. More like barbed wire.

Turns into a 3 piece luggage set?

When I was attacked by a dog (Bullmastiff, American bulldog mix) it ripped a decent chunk from my arm. Ended up looking kind of like a knife wound. ‘‘Twas not my dog, nor is it the nature of Bullmastiffs to be aggressive (I know since I have one now).

Irrigated a TON, and butterfly-bandage closed. Round of Amoxy-Clav - which caused a year long fun with Auto-immune Hepatitis.

Dog bites. That was the gift that kept on giving!

Those slashing bites are the worst. They cleaned and cleaned mine til I thought I would scream. And put the burning stuff in and around (don’t know the name) and several stitches and by the 2nd day it was infected. I was on ciprofloxacin. What helped was laser treatments, I believe.

Yes.

! I’m flabbergasted. No way in hell my wife, my pharmacist, or probably half everybody reading this will believe it enough to actually say it’s OK to use water.

What do you think is floating around in your tap water that’s bad for a cut? B/c if you’re in the States, and not on a well or in Flint, MI, by law your drinking water istested and treated to within an inch of its life. There’s so much chlorine smell when mine comes out the tap that I have to decant it for a day and then filter it to get it odorless enough to enjoy drinking.

of course we’d believe it. Unless you are using water from a puddle in your chook pen, you need to flush the wound and lots and lots of water is a good start.

I skimmed thru quite a few replies and though some mentioned making sure this dog is up to date on vaccines I didn’t see anyone outright mention RABIES. If you don’t know the status of this dog you absolutely need to get to a doctor and see about possible treatment for rabies. And no it’s not too late to do so even though this happened a few days ago.!

As someone else explained you can absolutely get tetanus from a dog bite and anything else that punctures unclean skin: snake bites, rusty nails, etc. Tetanus is caused by a bacteria that is often present all around us, especially in soil, so when your skin is punctured the organism is pushed from the surface to pinside and causes tetanus.