Dog-sitting for a week. Please help me!

If someone is unwilling to pay for a week’s worth of boarding, how is she paying to transport the dog cross-country?

She’ll be driving a u-haul containing her stuff with the pup in the passenger seat, I believe. No more expensive than not taking it along with her, you know?

I don’t spend a lot of time at her place (we generally hang out outside our respective apartments), but I am pretty sure she lets the dog run around anytime she is at home. She talks about how it fights with her cat sometimes, but they get along well sometimes too. Bit of a ren and stimpy thing going on.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with the symptomology of Meniere’s, I sort of am just from knowing her and hearing about it. She gets random-onset dizzy spells that can last anywhere from a few minutes to more than a day (they really are random but can be exacerbated or made more frequent by high sodium intake, high sugar intake, high caffeine intake, stress, and staring too long at a computer screen). It makes working and long-distance driving problematic. She was being given a ride to the airport by another friend and they were flying out together, so I don’t think the travel was a horrible idea. Optimally she probably shouldn’t be traveling, but it’s a lifetime condition and she’s stubborn. I can’t see her putting her life on hold forever.

Thanks for the ignorance fighting, Acidlamp. Mainly the thing is, dogs have to be trained and cats seem to know all the important stuff innately (or pick it up from their mom before they’re even a couple months old). Plus I think cats have a nicer “natural odor” than dogs. The dogs I’ve known have always smelled vaguely weird or dirty because they go outside multiple times a day to poo. My cats have all been indoor animals, and very well-groomed at that. They smell soft, are chill, easy as hell to take care of, and are much more fun to cuddle.

I’m sorry, but this is not adding up for me.

This doesn’t sound like a good idea. Is someone accompanying her on the trip?

I don’t know, I didn’t ask. Probably not the best of ideas, yeah. But if she gets hit with a dizzy spell on the road she can pull over until it goes away. It’s not like an epileptic fit where you’re taken completely out of commission.

More than a day. Pulled over by the side of the road. With a completely untrained, unhouse(car?)broken, hyperactive dog.

Wowza.

Any dog that will sit for a week is a patient and rare specimen. Reward him/her well with a yummy treat, lots of praise, and a skritch behind the ears…maybe even a nice belly rub.