Dogs running loose in my neighbourhood - how do I protect myself walking?

I doubt the OP can out run a cat, though.

“I don’t have to out run the dog. I just have to out run you, my two legged friend.”

if bear spray can stop a 600-pound grizzly, I think it will stop a Rottweiler.

[quote=“Romeo_and_Whatsherface, post:39, topic:586365”]

Ours (Texas) do, too. It’s not to reinforce aggressive behavior, obviously. It’s to bribe the local dogs into friendship.

I would guess bear repellent is legal in Canada (basically a can of mace/pepper spray under high pressure to shoot pretty far…farther than “normal” mace/pepper spray). If it’ll dissuade a bear it’ll dissuade a dog.

I think a walking stick is best for all concerned unless there is a real belief these dogs will attack.

Username/post combo thread winner! :stuck_out_tongue:

Again… a small spray bottle of ammonia. It’s not just a one-time deal, if a dog gets close enough to get a squirt, it will leave you alone forever.

I’d think you could get in trouble by spraying an animal with wasp spray. It probably won’t hurt a dog but I can see owners being pissed about you spraying their beloved puppy with poison. This site says wasp spray contains a neurotoxin that federal law prohibits it from being used for anything other than killing wasps. The FBI obviously isn’t going to investigate you, but have someone sue you for spraying their dog and you’ll probably lose.

I expect pet owners to live up to their LEGAL OBLIGATION of keeping the dog under control, or I will do it for them (using means legal in my area).

Don’t bet on it. Most dog owners do behave responsibly and control their dogs, but the others apparently feel entitled. 10 feet away from a sign that said “All dogs must be on a leash. Violators subject to arrest”, one middle-aged dog owner, said to me, “I’ll do whatever I feel like!”

The last illegally off-leash dog I encountered was unrestrained by the owner who just shouted “Just behave normally and he won’t bother you!” Thank you, Sailboat, for enabling their behavior.

All kinds of sticksherethat would be comforting to have along on walkies should Bobic want to play too rough. I especially like the octagonal cane.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I will head off to the local camping/hiking/sporting goods store and see what they have to say.

re: wasp spray: I been told to carry it from more than one officer. It dispenses with better force (and further away) and burns like a mother fucker. not that Cat Whisperer should be spraying puppies. (But if a dog looks like it’s going to attack, is it the time to be saying, ‘Nice puppy’?)

But really, wasp spray is great for human attackers, as those fucks deserve little sympathy. But if pepper spray is not allowed in Calgary, then wasp spray is probably really not allowed.

Pooey you live in a place where non-lethal self defense is an issue. :frowning:

In my experience–I go to a very rough dog park–a fighting pit bull doesn’t even notice a cane whacked as hard as possible on his cranium, let alone anywhere else. And good luck standing your ground until you can see the whites of their eyes before doing that perfect swing of a stick on his face.

Dogs are pretty tough, and have very thick skulls. I don’t think the head is the best place to try to strike one.

could it be an escalating canine arms race? then buy the biggest, baddest mutt for yourself.

I have tried both rocks and sticks, and rocks are more effective. They also work from a bicycle.

What in the name of God are you on about?

I am on record in numerous threads as being decidedly against off-leash dogs, which are a problem in my area, and I have called the police and the condo association on violators. This is a major issue for me, and I’m foursquare against off-leash dogs both in person and in online discussions.

cite

cite

cite

cite

[URL=“http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=9424896&highlight=“off-leash”#post9424896”]

Furthermore, what in my posts have you construed as “enabling?” Is it my dubious take on people using handguns against pets? Did you read that link?

Newsflash: dogs like to fetch sticks. If you are carrying an actual stick my dog would run up to you excitedly wanting you to throw it for him. I don’t think this is the reaction you are looking for so a walking stick is a bad idea.

I did like the username/thread combo. :smiley:

Cat, you should definitely report this to whoever’s available to report this to - an organisation like the Canadian equivalant of the RSPCA might be good, since it’s not really healthy for dogs to be running free in a pedestrian area either, and organisations that look after animals are sometimes quicker to respond than organisations that look after humans.

An ammonia spray is a good idea, but really any spray at all would help. Even simple water would be a start. Add citronella to it, and the dogs will dislike it; citronella sprays are what’s used in anti-barking collars (which didn’t work on my dog, but that wasn’t because of the spray, but the collar).

Then you should keep your dog on a leash because otherwise it is going to get a bash on the head it won’t soon forget.

This doesn’t have to turn into a thread where everyone hates on dog-owners, you know.

Indeed. I have read in many places that the best thing to do in case of a to-the-death fight is to put a stick up the instigator’s ass. The problem is finding the spot during a dog fight, and a human’s understandable fear of doing so. But when your dog is on the receiving end of the fight and is near death, that fear goes out the window.

Personally, I would attempt to stomp and break the other dog’s back (were it a pit or terrier) in such a situation.

However, this is a hijack of OP.