DOJ/Jack Smith Investigation into Trump and Election Interference, January 6th Insurrection (Indicted 08-01-23)

Exactly. This team will be a bunch of legal Jedis, absolutely among the very best at managing jury selection. Other than allowing for a very remote “Well, anything can happen” chance, I am not overly worried that we’ll see a hung jury because of a rogue MAGA zealot.

When I was in the jury selection pool for a big case, we all had paddles with our juror number which we would raise in response to the lawyer’s questions. For a case like this, they might ask questions like “Who agrees that Trump lost the election?” and “Who thinks the election was stolen?”. The lawyers will make notes of who does or doesn’t raise their paddles. They’ll compare the answers with whatever background info they have managed to dig up on the potential jurors or from previous answers during jury selection. If they suspect someone is lying, they might decide to question them directly. For instance, “Juror #47, you didn’t raise your paddle when I asked for people who though the election was stolen, but on your Twitter account you posted 83 times that the election was stolen. Please explain your position.” Lies or inconsistencies that the lawyers can demonstrate will likely give the judge cause to have them stricken. The lawyers will be able to do some questioning during the selection process which should help them weed out some of the problematic people.

Personally, I have no political bumper stickers at all on my call. They’re not going to change anybody’s mind but on the other hand, when you inevitably make an error in driving like accidentally cutting someone off, the Other Side will be thinking, “Aha! Another asshole for [candidate]!” I stick with fannish stuff.

One phenomena I’ve noticed is that the beater turned into a rolling political statement used to be progressive, or at least liberal. Lately the MAGAts have become more prominent as well.

I’m assuming this will be your Oxymoron of the Year entry. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe.

Rule 24. Trial Jurors

Primary tabs

(a) Examination.

(1) In General. The court may examine prospective jurors or may permit the attorneys for the parties to do so.

Me either unless you count the Decepticon logo.

Yeah, I think this has become a less reliable indicator in our current time. Like you and @Atamasama, I don’t even have a Darwin fish on my car anymore. It’s just an invitation for vandalism and I don’t need the headache.

MAGAs, however, do seem to love to advertise their political views. In my area, their homes are festooned with “Let’s go, Brandon!” flags and “Fuck JB!” signs. Their big coal rollers sport no end of bumper and rear window stickers. I appreciate that. It’s good to know where Teh Crazy™ live and drive.

Wow. We’re blessed here. Although not Seattle liberal, we’re on the edge I guess. I know of only one house with Trump decor, and that one is a modest, but large, TRUMP 2024! sign. Once or twice a month I’ll see a large pickup with a Trump flag. But that’s about it.

I live more rural. I don’t see this stuff in Eugene proper, but driving to and from town, it’s around. We libruls still far outnumber the MAGAs, even in the rural environs, but they are here – and they like to make themselves obvious. Queries about such things in voir dire would yield rich fruit.

Be careful about saying "all":wink:

Maybe queries aren’t even necessary in some cases. All the prosecutor’s jury selection team needs to do is look in the parking lot, and ask the pool, “Okay, who drives the jacked-up Dodge Ram pickup truck with Trump bumper stickers? You? Okay, you’re excused.”

That would be pretty funny. :smiley:

No so easy
https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/parking

All they have to do is mention Former President Trump and see who jumps up and yells “Former? That election was illegal! He’s still MY President! And ah’m prowwwd to be an Amurican… where at least ah know ah’m free…!”

“Please fill in the blank. _______ lives matter.”

“Your honor, as this juror’s head has exploded we would like him struck from the pool.”

Excuse me sir, I believe that vehicle belongs to the judge.

Ok, that made me laugh out loud!! Only it might be true in the Florida case. :grimacing:

All this jury selection stuff is very confusing to Chump, who is still trying to process the fact that “a jury of your peers” doesn’t mean a dozen Russian hookers.

As much as he might love Russian hookers, I doubt he considers them his peers.

I think urine danger of missing the joke, @Procrustus

There were micturating factors, though.