Doper Men - How important are good cooking skills in a potential girlfriend or wife?

I’ll try to answer you, but this is along the lines of why do you like the color blue, or dunkin donuts coffee over starbucks. I am just giving some background info as to why I feel this way.

It seems like they have a disconnect as to where food comes from. They don’t really consider it comes from cows and pigs and chickens and plants, but assume it comes from a factory at ADM.

They assume ‘food’ is not something that they themself can ‘harvest’

It appears like they are ‘above’ basic human needs.

They don’t appreciate the food chain, meaning appreciate the animal lives which are use for our food, basically they ignore it.

They allow themselves to depend on someone else for basic survival needs.

Also they fail at a basic social requirement, when in a commited relationship, there are times when one person can not provide for themself, and it is really comforting to have someone who cares who can take over (w/o charging a delivery fee).

When you make a meal, as opposed to buying it, you know what has gone into it.

I hope this helps, I prefer Dunkin Donuts

I’m a cookin’ fool. Love to do it. Girls in my kitchen? Unless she’s showing me how to make something new she’d best just plant her butt on the counter and don’t go hogging all the wine! In my kitchen wimmin are to be heard and not seen–chat with me while I do the alchemy, I like it…but don’t touch that!

Do I like it if she can cook? Wouldn’t know. What I would like is a woman that can hang drywall, sweat copper, work on a car or…what the hell, not screw some other guy while I’m making her dinner!

Been married twice, neither of them could cook well.

My current wife can cook southern, i.e. lots of grease and lots of salt.

She’s learned over the past 5 years to cook some things properly, but she still can’t shake the kiebasa must be fried attitude.

Anyway, I’m an excellent cook and love to do it, so it wouldn’t bother me at all.

Ok, sounds like you’re really talking about people who won’t cook, rather than someone who doesn’t cook. You’re talking about someone who doesn’t prepare their own meals, whether from a frozen box or a fresh food market. That’s a little different, to me, than someone who doesn’t cook just because it’s easier not to.

Like me, who would cook but doesn’t cook yet has been completely independent and self-sufficient for more than 10 years. :slight_smile:

I have no coffee preference, but I like the color blue.

How does the old saw go? The only thing worse than someone who can cook and won’t is someone who can’t cook and does. :smiley:

I don’t care as a relationship matters, but I’d think that someone who can’t cook is either a bit on the wealthy side, or very, very, very lazy. Not a downcheck, especially as I enjoy cooking. Just more of a WTF moment.

It isn’t a make or break thing for me, but I would be quite disappointed if she couldn’t cook, and/or didn’t appreciate food as much as I do. I’m a fairly decent cook myself, and a non-fussy foodie, and I’ve love to be have this too to share.

Besides, the whole drinking wine while preparing meals together thing is extremely appealing to me.

If I was with a girl who could cook, it’d be great. I like having someone cook for me. But it’s certainly not a deal breaker, or even something I look for. Right now I cook most of the meals my girlfriend and I eat, and I don’t really have a problem with that.

It is not important to me. I am content to eat out or fix sandwiches or heck, even cereal. It is more important to me that she makes me laugh and that I feel good when we are together more often than I don’t.

Having said that, if she cooks well and enjoys it, I think that is great too.

Not really important at all. My wife has learned to cook a few things very well, but when we started out, she really didn’t have much interest in it.

I appreciate what she does do well, don’t worry about what she doesn’t…like the line from U2 song ‘Original of the Species’…‘want everything you got, and nothing that you’re not’

Yes! When we met, my husband loved to cook. Even after we moved into our house he gladly shared the cooking. We both worked long hours, so chores of all kinds had to be shared.
When I quit working, I said I would take on the household responsibilities. Now, he talks about cooking, and even cleaning…
But he doesn’t do it. I’d like for him to cook occasionally, he does it well, and I’d like a break now and then.
After all he only works 9 days a month…
To more directly address the OP, I don’t believe cooking was on either of our lists of why we were perfect for each other. :smiley:

Another woman chiming in here. I think my husband greatly appreciates that I do cook well, but it’s more of a side benefit than anything else. I like that I cook well because when I was starting my freelance business my cooking was one of those little gifts I could give my husband because I couldn’t afford anything else. It’s not really a care-taker thing, but rather something I like to do for him because it’s simple (for me, anyway - he’s still learning), he really appreciates it and I like surprising him now and then. He shows up every once in a while with flowers or something small that he knows I like. And I love being able to give something back. Plus, he’s really hard to shop for. :wink:

(I’m female, but I don’t think my answer would be any different if I were a man.) I’d be bothered by a partner who absolutely could not put a meal together to save his life, just like I’d be bothered if he couldn’t manage his own finances or make travel arrangements for a weekend. This stuff is hardly rocket science, and basic adult life skills are not optional. It would also indicate a certain disconnect in lifestyles, since it’s highly unlikely that I will ever be able to afford to go out to eat on a daily basis.

This doesn’t mean he would have to be a gourmet cook (I’m certainly not), just a reasonably self-sufficient one.

My wife is a wonderful cook. By way of comparison, I can cook just well enough to keep us from starving. We’ve had countless fantastic meals as a result of her skill. And had she not been a great cook, it would have mattered not even a little bit insofar as my interest in her.

It’d be a nice addition, but I know and do enough cooking for myself that it’s not a problem. Of course, cooking for me is generally buy a bunch of ingredients, make one dish, eat that one dish for several days until it is all gone and I am thoroughly sick of it, repeat with another dish. If I’m really up to it, cook two or three dishes at the same time and do the same with a little more rotation between meals.

Unfortunately, women around my age aren’t interested in a man’s domestic skills.

Doesn’t cook seems to be the catch all, which would include not willing or not able.