Dopers in LA: are you worried that the Big One is coming?

I see it as out of my control so my hoping for it to happen in my lifetime is irrelevant. And while quakes can kill people, I believe we’re much better prepared now than we’ve ever been, and will be even more so in the future, so my hoping for a quake does not directly mean I hope people will die. Only someone looking for an argument assumes that.

Besides, each quake reduces the stress built up on the fault lines, so after a significant quake, there should be much less risk of activity on that fault for a while. Better to happen while we’re prepared, with memories of the last big one still fresh in our minds rather than 50 years down the line when nobody can remember a big one and we get caught unprepared.

And my coworkers’ fear of earthquake are hilarious. Of that, I won’t defend nor back down. Its like watching someone get scared during a movie, its funny and ultimately harmless. I revel in my enjoyment of other people’s fear of earthquakes and do not think it makes me a bad person.

They shouldn’t be. I have no immediate west coast travel plans.

I have plenty of relatives in the Midwest and Florida and find it absolutely hysterical how terrified they are of earthquakes. The occasional 4.2 quake that causes a grand total of about $90 worth of damage at a nearby supermarket should be feared as if it were the wrath of a vengeful God, but annual city-swamping hurricanes and mobile-park-seeking tornadoes are hardly worth mentioning.

No, I am not worried about the Big One. Last month it was 72 and sunny here while my cousins in Michigan were hiding in the walk-in freezer cause it was warmer than outside. Feel free to shake your head in amazement at our blase attitude towards earthquakes while suffering through the next Polar Vortex.

Yum!

When you hope for pain or suffering for other people, yeah, that does make you a bad person.

In my defense, the pain is suffering is a bit of a fear after some shaking. Completely harmless

Let’s not forget the death, injury, and property damage you keep handwaving away.

As I said, I have no control over that, plus I don’t think that would happen to the extent that others predicted, so yes, it does deservedly get handwaved away

So, how many deaths are you comfortable hoping for?

jsgoddess, you probably just want to calmly back away at this point and speak in low, soothing tones before you get any of it on you. Even Goo Gone doesn’t completely get it out of cotton or wool.

Stranger

I can think of probably 5 people that I hope would die off the top of my head, give me more time and I can increase the list.

Given your proclivities, I’m sure you can. They probably bored you or were afraid of something, so you’re hoping they die so you can giggle about it.

No, they are objectively bad people and should suffer more than they have suffered in life before they die

After the Northridge quake in 1994, there was a nearly two-year period of regular aftershocks.

Those smaller aftershocks didn’t result in significant damage though, and no loss of life

Chief Wiggum: "Dig up, stupid! "

To answer the OP, I do from time to time, usually moreso after a reminder like the other day (which I somehow managed not to feel on a high floor in downtown). There was nothing enjoyable about the Northridge Quake, and I have no desire to experience anything similar again.

But I can’t say it’s constantly on my mind or anything, and my preparaton at home isn’t really where I’d like it to be, so I really can’t claim to be paranoid about it.

A repeat of the 1857 Fort Tejon earthquake or the 1700 Cascadia quake would be really, really bad. Even more moderate earthquakes, like the 6.9 Kobe earthquake in 1995, can still kill thousands. As earthquake-prepared as the Japanese are, they still lost over 6,000 lives, and 100 billion USD in damage. I doubt a similar quake directly under either the SF Bay Area or the L.A. Basin, much less one of the monsters above, would do much less damage.

EDIT: Though Northridge was pretty close to the energy of the Kobe quake. Testament to the power of CA building codes, I guess. After a certain point though, like the 8.0+ of a Tejon quake, it’s all fall down.

Still not as cataclysmic as either Rainier or the Yellowstone caldera deciding to wake-up, but it’d be a lot more “exciting” than I’d personally care to experience.