Dopers: Share your airport/flying experiences!

Here’s some advice about the Philly airport if you’re a nervous traveller. The runway points right out into Schuykill river. When you land you’ll be coming in over the river and it’ll look exactly like you’re coming down IN the river. Relax.

Actually in Philadelphia you come in over the Delaware, not the Schuylkill. You can get some nice views of the Naval Shipyard along the way.

You’re right though about thinking you’re going to crash in the water- you can’t see ahead and
the plane gets very low before it gets over the runway. Boston is even worse - the end of the runway is only about 50 ft from the harbor.

A friend of mine who’s a pilot said that they try to make approach paths over water on purpose - so if the engines conk out on landing, the plane doesn’t crash on land and kill a lot more people.

Thanks for the correction. It’s been about a decade since I’ve flown in there and my memory is a little hazy.

JF Africanus covered most of it.

*Take twice the money and half the clothing.

Never pack more than you can carry and really try to do carry on only. *
You will fly through the airport much faster than having to wait forever for the gorilla’s in back to finish tossing your samsonite around.

Pack inside your luggage your home address/phone number and your vacation destination ( hotel or friends house) as well as flight info and dates of travel. Thousands of bags are lost each year and unreturnable because people don’t grasp the situation of labeling their stuff properly. It will give you a piece of mind that if something doesn’t turn up at your destination, that when they rifle your undies, they will be able to expedite it to you faster, hopefully.

**Always take a book or two with you for the airport and flight. ** If you don’t, I guarantee you there will be a delay or worse you will have some jabbering idiot next to you.

Take a snack, like a package of crackers or three to survive the urge to buy a $5.00 hot dog that has been on the weenie rotissiere since Truman was in office.
A bottle of water is mandatory.

Any medication and toiletries, pack in your carry on. ** Always. ** ( A change of underpants and PJ’s and a spare shirt is highly recommended too, in the event your luggage is delayed.)

Lip balm is mandatory.

Go pee before you board your flight.

Germaphobia And Proud]
I always travel with my own pillow. They don’t throw out the pillows after every flight ( nor do they replace the cheapie papery covers either as they are suppose too.)and dear god, that is vomitus to think about the germ cultures growing inside that. My husband sits on about 4 pillows for any flight and the thought of my face on one of those pillows after Horatio Hornblower sat on it for 4-8 hours is enough to make me jump from the plane without a chute.

If you can, take a jacket to cover yourself up in for a blanket and eschew the airplane blanket. These are a petri dish. I freeze on all flights. YMMV. I won’t even tell you about the air quality in the plane, it will give you the screaming mimi’s*

I use to be a travel agent and we got the insider mags for all airlines and the good/bad/ugly stuff. It’s enough to make you turn Amish.

[/germophobic rant]

Also, with the pillow, it makes it easier to fall asleep with something familiar where ever you are staying.
Finally, if the joker next to you starts a conversation with " Have you Found Jesus?"

The proper response is, " Yes, he was in my sock drawer all along." :cool:

• Screaming Mimi’s would be an excellent name for a band.

I was eleven on my first flight. I flew alone from New York to Chicago, then overseas from Chicago to Rome. When I got there it was about two hours before my grandparents picked me up. Sounds nerve-racking, right? I sat there calmly talking to the girl next to me while the flight attendents panicked and ran around in circles. I have no idea why I wasn’t terrified. I was a straaange child.

Oh yeah, bring gum.

I heartily agree with the folks who recommend that you bring just a carry-on. Retrieving bags after a flight takes forever. Plus, only bringing a carry-on ensures that none of your stuff will get lost.

If you want to be one of the first people off the plane, request seats toward the front. I also find the front to be quieter and less conducive to motion sickness.

Some airlines now sell food on the plane, so make sure you have cash.

As for horror stories… I don’t have a good one, but my inlaws do. They were flying home to Philly and there was a snowstorm. As they were circling and waiting for either their turn to land or the runway to be plowed (can’t remember which), the pilot announced that they were going to be diverted to Boston. A few moments later, the plane’s wing was struck by lightning. The pilot came back on to say that since they’d experienced a lightning strike, they were cleared to land immediately in Philly.

If you’re flying with a child under the age of 6, be prepared to get no sleep on the flight. In fact, if anyone is travelling with an infant on your flight, you won’t get any sleep either.

If you are connecting to another flight at Dallas, better hope you have some time because that’s a HUGE airport.

When they say “there will be some turbulence” what they mean is “the plane will feel like it’s about to crash.”

If you can help it (and most people can, as they don’t even have this option), never fly on a military plane.

I think there is a little bit of hysteria in this thread. I fly about 50,000 miles a year and have for a long time. Only once have I had a bag not show up at my destination, and it came on the next flight and was waiting for me at my hotel in the morning. I would only bring a bag on board (not counting a backpack or shoulder bag) if I were sure to board first. “Elite” or “Premier” flyers get to board first, and generally fill up the overhead containers before you get there, and you end up having to check your bag anyway.

Tips - Unless it is a holiday weekend, show up 1.5 hours (at the counter, not the parking lot) before your flight leaves. Canada to the U.S. doesn’t really count as “International” travel.

Use the kiosk rather than standing in line. Have the credit card you used to book the flight in hand. Follow the instructions on the screen. 2 minutes tops and you’re done.

Have ID with you. Don’t expect favors from the clerks. Don’t joke about anything to anyone until you are off the ground. Don’t joke about terrorism ever to anyone. Here’s the flow chart: Check in, security screening (Toronto has long lines), go to gate, board plane. Be on time. Don’t change plans, it costs $100 to change your itinerary. Don’t take advice from anyone who hasn’t flown since 9/11.

My experience was about 3 months after 9/11, in case anyone wonders…

I could tell you a couple of real, personal horror stories.

But I won’t.

Fear of flying is no joke, and as much as I truly d r e a d getting onto a plane, I still do so.

I wish, the first time I had flown in a large plane, that someone would have told me that the sounds are normal. That horrible crunching noise after take-off is simply the wheels going into the bottom of the plane. Same when the wheels come down. The sound of engines going louder and then quieter is normal…simply putting their foot on the gas, so to speak. And a rough ride is nothing to be afraid of…planes are designed for pretty wild weather, and just consider it a really cool roller coaster ride.

I envy people who get on a plane as calmly as if they were boarding Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride at Disneyland, and I am duly impressed with people who can fall asleep even before the plane takes off.

Make it your goal to learn to like to fly - it will make your life a hell of a lot easier!!!

Have fun!

OTOH, while I don’t fly as often as you, I have had my luggage not on my flight 3 times. One of those times, it actually made it back before I did. I have never flown 1st class but I have do not have any problem putting my carry on in the overhead. Then again, I am not trying to put luggage up there, just my carryon.

I’ve flown on my own a lot, but only once since 9/11 (I drive everywhere now).

Bring gum.

Learn to sleep sitting up. My 2 hour flights were soooooooo boring, even if I had a book. I’d also bring along a CD player, because the sound on a plane is boring. Nowhere else am I bored by the sounds around me. Also, you get to sleep through turbulence, which always freaks me out.

Arrive at the counter 2 hours before you leave.

If you have a layover in a big airport, get a map of it. Mark where you’re getting there, and where your connection is. I went through O’Hare airport four times a year for about 5 years, and could still get lost. It’s huge and stupid (so I remember). I forgot a map once, and regretted it. A map takes a lot of stress out of finding your connection in a big airport.

Checking luggage is a pain. I perfected the art of packing for two weeks in one suitcase and a under-the-seat backpack.

However, don’t pack heavy. It sucks lugging a heavy bag through a big airport. I did it once, when I packed a lot of books. Never again.

Seems like common sense, but a lot of people seem to forget this - if you plan on buying suveniers (I just spent 5 minutes tryig to spell that word - I give up), leave room in your luggage for it. Don’t super-pack everything.

Snacks! Water! Peanuts and Sprite aren’t enough.

That’s all I can think of.

I agree on the maps of the airport for the layover. I like to pull up maps for the airport I’m leaving from and the one I’m going to, as well. Having a general idea of where I need to go makes things less stressful.

I agree on the maps of the airport for the layover. I like to pull up maps for the airport I’m leaving from and the one I’m going to, as well. Having a general idea of where I need to go makes things less stressful.

I once had a flight from Utah to Michigan that literally took about 24 hours to complete. But it doesn’t compare to being stranded for two days in India w/ no money. I’m betting that you’re probably a lot less intimidated by the idea than me, what with the family there & speaking Hindi & all, but it still had to be pretty scary.

Good story.
Addendum

GD doesn’t have anything discussing Bernoulli or Coanda, hence, go here for your pre-flight flight primer. And here is an experiment you can try yourself to verify the explanation. (Well, one of the explanations.) I still find boats scarier than planes because boats seem to displace so little water that I simply have trouble accepting that they won’t just sink and pull me down with them. Planes, OTOH, make perfect intuitive sense to me, so I never worry.

I’ve never had a piece of luggage lost, but I have had a couple of bags severly damaged. Both times the handles ( not long, just regular short handles.) got caught on the conveyor belt or something and ripped them right down the middle.

I usually travel with Salvation Army/ Garage sale luggage so it is no great loss.

Most airline flight magazines include maps of their hub airports. Since you can take these with you, you can get a good map without any hassle.

I’ve had luggage lost twice, but only once when I was not heading for home. Now they are pretty good about knowing where it is. Don’t lose your luggage tag.

When you go through security, make sure you take everything out. I forgot my metal business card case the last time, and I got the whole work-over. Smile. The new security people are a lot better than the old ones.

Use the kiosks. They are the best thing the airlines have done in years. They never seem to be crowded, and they work just fine even when checking luggage.

If you can get away with a carryon bag, don’t let them take it. I was flying from Austin to Philadslphia once, a direct flight with a stop in Houston. Houston got hit by thunderstorms, so we went to New Orleans to get gas :confused: (Why not Lafayette or Baton Rouge I’ll never understand.) We eventually went back to Houston where they terminated the flight. One of the people I was traveling with gave them his carryone bag before boarding - of course he didn’t get it back that night.

Bring lots of books. Then bring one or two more. You never know.

I disagree about flying through a small airport. I usualy leave through SFO, and I’ve made it through the kiosk and security in under 10 minutes the last five times I’ve flown. Of course, that wasn’t Christmas or anything.

I love the kiosks, especially cause I never check anything. I don’t get the people who’ll wait in line just for the honor of speaking with a CSR who’s just going to do the same thing the kiosk will do. I can check in AND poke through the plane to see if there’s a better seat available at the kiosk and not wait in line.

If you’ve got a belt on with a buckle, take it off and put it in your hand luggage before going through the metal detector. Saves an embarassing couple of minutes.

Nice stories… I got a couple myself. But before that I would say also : don’t eat beef if you fly from England… When I fly British I take the veggy menu… Alright, back to the stories…

• My feet still remember a 2 miles long walk, heavy luggage included, from Frankfurt airport to get the car (Frankfurt is the biggest European airport).

• Landing in Marseille, France can be scary. The track is partly build into a lake. So when I stopped reading my magazine and looked through the window I suddenly saw water 15 feet below the plane : argh! what’s happenning??? 3 seconds later the track was there, but that was the longest 3 seconds of my life…

• Taking off from Barcelona we could see a huge storm wall heading our direction. It reminded me a lot from the black cloud walls that you can see in Florida hot summers. One side of the sky is black, one side is blue with no cloud. We guess we could make it until the pilot decided to go in head first. Wow! That was hard! First time ever I really clutch my arm rests! The old guy next to me begin to throw up everywhere. My wife confidence in the plane plummeted like Sopwith Camel in front of the Red Baron. After 5 loooongs minutes the pilot finally decided to exit the clouds, climbs and go * over them.
    Attaboy. Couldn’t you think of this * before
    ???

• My worst and saddest experience wasn’t even on a plane: we were in Paris, heading to Boston. We managed to get an upgrade in business on AA and were waiting in the “Admiral’s lounge”. The lounge has en entrance and 2 wings. We headed on the left one. We were enjoying our confort and luck, sipping free coffee and orange juice while snacking free cookies and stuff. Life was good. We could see through the entrance the other wing of the lounge and we noticed that a lot of people were gathering in front of the TVs, some people holding their hands in front of their mouth. “Somebody important must have died” I told my wife and we just stayed there reading, enjoying the calm. 5 minutes later people were apprently still watching and I decided to satisfy my curiosity as long as a nature call, the bathroom being just pass the TVs. I stand up, walking calmly and then I saw it. It was 9/11. I called my wife and we saw, with millions of people, the horror of this day. The other passenger in the lounge were waiting for NY. Big commotion. We didn’t board our plane this day… :frowning:

But most of the time taking a plane is as boring as taking a train or a bus. Just a little longer. Except when it’s vacation time and you have some kiddo playing with its musical toy all the way through the Atlantic or your neighbor wants to stand up and “do something” every half hour… Is murder allowed in international waters? :smiley: