Dopers who bike to work, how do you deal with helmet head/sweatiness?

OH!

You are the BESTEST! I’m so happy - I ride the 90! Woohoo!
does a happy dance

And if I was going to do any of that, I’d embrace my inner redneck and go with the John Deere - I mean, I luuurve pot-bellied pig-racing.

Now you’ve made me go and shed a nostalgic tear for my childhood memories of my homeland, where you could go to the state fair and watch some pig racin’ every hour, on the hour. I worked a tea stand nearby, and them piggies squealin’ and runnin’ was the best!

Only thing better than a good pot-bellied pig race is a demolition derby!

My SO is appalled. He can’t believe he lives with such a hick. :slight_smile:

To cut down on sweating you can get a personal cooling device. Usually they are devices that fit around the back of your neck and pull bodyheat out of your neck.

http://www.mscooling.org/coolinggarments.html

I notice when I wear mine that I still sweat, but not nearly as much. And this is for someone whose normal body temp is about 99.0, and I was mountainbiking in 90F weather. Without it I was covered in sweat, with it I was just dapped with sweat.

What I have also tried is small bags of ice attached to the groin or armpits. Alot of bodyheat passes through the groin & armpits so putting a small bag of ice there lets alot of the heat from exercise get used up thawing the ice instead of covering you in sweat.

At least that’s what I do.

i used to bike to and from work,
it was simple, i packed a back pack with my work cloths, and a second set of cloths (in case of rain or snow) plus deodorant and baby wipes,
yes
baby wipes, i learned of their joy in drama and they still help.
Never wore a helmet, prolly should have…should still but I’ve got a hard head, i would pity either the dar or the ground that got hit with it

Jesus H Christ Wesley! I looked at the first thing on that link, and it was $3000! Luckily, I kept reading, and there’s some cheaper ones.

But check this out:

Special MS system includes active cooling unit with hooded vest.
Integreated cooling with variable air pressure improves cooling efficiency. Temperature control. Very portable unit.
Operates with ice and water. Can be used in a variety of situations including office and home.
Priced about $3,000.

I basically do what PhoenixFire does, meaning I pack a bag with work clothes and some deodorant and clean myself up and change in the bathroom. Unfortunately my face is still going to be red for the next hour but I figure it’s a minor embarrassment. I usually just pull my hair back, and I guess it never looks its best but again I think I need the exercise more.

Actually I had never thought about baby wipes. That’s a great idea.

I wear bike clothes and keep a full complement of work clothes (and deoderant, and hair product) in my cube.

About the hair: I had the same problem, it’s not exactly Indian (in either sense) but it is fairly long and gets crazy frizzy if it’s the least bit wet.

What I do is wash it before I leave and tie on a bandana so it’s all covered, and protected from rain/being tangled up by rubbing against the helmet. (When it’s long enough I ponytail/braid it.) Then when I get to work it’s still a bit damp and very flat. I shake it all out and run wet hands on it (if necessary), then apply product and style. (If I used a blow dryer I’d probably take it to work and use it at this point.)

Panting and sweating - definitely. Hence the full change of clothing. With the way the air conditioning works around here, though, it takes three minutes before the sweat starts to freeze on my body so the discomfort doesn’t last too long once I’ve changed clothes.

Yeah I know, thats what I figured you’d say when you first saw it as price goes down the further down you scroll (it was my first thought too). What I thought looked good was this one, the vest, wrist straps, hat and neck band for $50.