Dopers who kicked a bad habit – are you scared it will come back?

What Ruby said, except I only gave up smoking three years ago and started dieting around the same time. Health considerations (angina, diabetes) help me to keep on the straight and narrow, too.

Complacency causes smoking? I thought it was picking up a cigarette and lighting it…

Seriously, I quit smoking about 14 years ago, and the only way I will start up again is if I choose to smoke. And I don’t.

If I were to smoke just one cigarette today, I would be back up to two packs a day within a week. I am sure of it, because the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and I was never a “social smoker.”

Biting my nails? I wear acrylics now so I don’t bite. I could never grow my nails more than a sliver of “white part” otherwise.
Somthing I have learned along the way- if I reserve the right to smoke/drink/drug again at some future date, then I will. I am done- no “somedays” about it.

I went back to smoking a couple of times after being clean for a period of years. I would get to a point where I felt so in control of myself that I thought I could smoke socially. Of course that’s not true, and it would creep up on me fast. I smoked for a few months last year.

Right now I’m at a point where I have no urge to smoke whatsoever, but I think someday I’ll have the urge again, and yeah, I’m a little scared of it.