Double Strap Attack! or Why I am Still Haunted by my High School Experience

Oh, and I’d like to point out that while I carry my bag with both straps, I do indeed use my locker and visit it several times a day. And while I may be a geek, I know all the cool kids, and they all use both straps.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by elfkin477 *
Hmmm. We were allowed them in high school (class of 95’) because the time between classes was only two
* minutes.

Where did you go, Paul Revere High School?! I’ve heard of New England punctuality, but they seem to have taken it a little too far.

My own high school years 1957-61:

1. If you chewed gum in class, the teacher dipped in in quinine (very bitter) and made you keep chewing it.

2. We were not allowed to speak between classes as we moved through the hallways.

3. We were not allowed to even whisper in the study hall in the library. If you did that or if you had to be excused to the restroom, you had to stay thirty minutes in detention.

4. Some schools in the county closed for six weeks in the fall for “cotton-pickin’.”

5. Pregnant or married students were not allowed to attend.

Culture Shock: My years teaching high school 1969-1989

1. Shoot-out at the football game with sawed off shotgun.

2. Quiet male teacher arrested for sex and drugs with female students.

3. The same day another male teacher was allowed to resign rather than be fired for sexual harrassment.

4. Male and female students caught screwing under the stairs. Were asked if they had hall passes.

5. Female student caught entertaining several males under the foldout seating.

6. Principal entered my classrom and began screaming at me in the presence of my students. When I tried to leave, he blocked my way. (He later lost his job for such stupidity.)

7. I was beaten by a trespassing football player from aother school. In the emergency room 7 hours and in the hospital 3 days. Had trial. We won. Student given probation. I later taught one of the six guys that were with him and we became friendly.

8. Two students with loaded weapons removed from my classroom.

9. Explosives wired above piano in drama department production. The perp was suspended for three days.

10. One of my students murdered another student an hour after leaving my class.

11. Another principal caught screwing cheerleader in the faculty lounge after school. Same principal divorced wife, married cheerleader and later stalked teacher. He was eventually promoted to a position at the Board of Education i a large city.

12. I taught eight murderers included one that I tutored after school and one that threatened to slit my throat.

13. A fire and several bomb scares. The principal said that teachers had to stay and look for the bomb. Teachers laughed and left.

14. One senior murdered another senior graduation night.

15. School bookkeeper and member of the English department embezzled $35,000 from the school for cocaine. When she knew she was going to be found out, she shot and killed herself. The principal was called before the police were.

16. I was forced to give a final exam to a student in labor.