[QUOTE=badchad]
Cosmosdan, I’m going to have more to say to your message but first I want to clarify a few things just so I don’t get your position wrong.
When I asked:
You responded:
Questions one and two are yes or no. “No more than any other person” is a dodge. I would answer no to both, most Christians would answer yes. What’s your real answer?
[/QUOTE]
It was an attempt to be brief rather than a dodge. It shows I do not hold certain Christian traditional beliefs. I believe we are primarily spiritual beings rather than physical. I believe we are all connected to God and each other equally. Since we are all spiritual then is that supernatural or is it our natural state? Since we are all equally connected to God and each other are we one and the same? I’m still learning. One of the Christian doctrines I object to is the language that places God out there and us as separate unworthy beings. I think when Christ said I am in the Father and the Father in me, and I and my Father are one, and when you do it unto the least of these you do it unto me, he was teaching basic truths that apply to all people equally.
Several ways
In studying the history of the Bible we see how it has been changed and manipulated by man for various reasons. A great resource but we have to keep in mind it’s imperfections. There are several things we can do. Study other writings such as the Nag Hammadi library. The Gospel of Thomas is said to be the sayings of Jesus. Study other religions with the idea that “seek and you will find” applies to all men in every culture and age. Those who sought the truth with a sincere heart and taught others have something to offer. It’s interesting to note the many similarities between what Buddha taught and what Jesus taught. Even more recently established religions can offer insights. Most importantly we have to trust our own connection to God within and use that to discover our own path amid all the tradition and various teachings. The essentials are in the Bible. Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself. The Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth and the truth will set you free. Value the eternal qualities above the fleeting elements of life that decay with time.
I agree with that there is much to criticize about organized religion , Christian and otherwise. Too often they place more value on their own traditions than the truth . Yet it is part of the human journey and each person must walk their own path and surrender to the truth in their own time. I try to find a way to honor each persons right to choose while using interaction {like ours} to aide the growth process in myself and those I interact with.
I would have to say yes. It has become important to me to see the difference between “what I currently believe” and “what I know to be true” We must as people go forward based on what we currently believe but we can go forward with our minds and hearts open to new information and input. Not to be swayed by every new fad that comes along but to realize that we still have much to learn and trust that life will bring us what we need to learn it. {The Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth} I see interaction as a teaching tool for myself and others. IN that interaction which would include criticism of certain beliefs we can ask ourselves certain questions.
Is my purpose to teach and be taught? To share ideas and views, or merely be right and get that “I win” or “I am superior” feeling? {I have to watch that all the time}
In realizing that each person must choose their own path {something you see Christ honored} I also came to realize that I don’t know what is “right” for others. That’s between them and God and they will move on when they are ready. The decision needs to be that it is truly the right thing for them. Out of a desire for truth rather than a fear of someone else’s or some groups opinion.
So, I would say yes it’s okay to criticize beliefs. I might even call it a necessity for growth , but we should examine our method and motivation.