Selection in this case is rather brutal …the shift favoured short wings …a trait already present in the population.
I’ll try and find the article - here you go
Selection in this case is rather brutal …the shift favoured short wings …a trait already present in the population.
I’ll try and find the article - here you go
Thank you!
Two things:
Sometimes this is called “selection” because it has only altered the distribution of traits, not the existence of traits.
The Darwinian Theory of Evolution included Lyell Gradualism. That had to be abandoned in the 1970’s. Modern theories of “evolution” include rapid “evolution”.
Update: I think that there’s more evidence that that’s true in Florida with regards to bugs. We haven’t had a large increase in the amount of rain this summer, but it’s been consistent, unlike most recent ones.
And I’ve been seeing lots of mosquitos this year as well as some horseflies and lovebugs. Much more than last year. So perhaps they were indeed temporarily diminished by a lack of consistent water. Although the lovebugs still haven’t recovered to the point that they’re plastering the fronts of cars.