Driving while high?

The “open container” law is problematic for me. If I blow 0.0%, why is Gomer in the back seat drinking a Four Loco anyone’s concern?

Because of the layout of my Jeep Wrangler, if I bag up rusted out beer cans while kayaking to clean the environment, I can be cited In Pennsylvania for the trash I’m hauling home for disposal.

Here’s a good reason why you shouldn’t drive high :smiley:

That’s how fast I was going once when I realized… “why are the cars coming up from behind me so fast?”

I once got pulled over for empty beer cans in the back of my pick-up. Ticked me right off, it did. After that, I always made sure to have opaque garbage bags in my vehicle just in case I need to clean up a mess.

I don’t smoke and drive. Back when I was working, I would allow enough time for me to drive to work and then sit somewhere and smoke as much weed as I could before clocking in just on time. I would bring my lunch so I could smoke in my car instead going out to eat and risking operating a car while stoned because I was running out of smoking time.

I spent most of my working life doing face to face customer service of one sort of another and didn’t once kill anyone, so I would submit that the pot was needful for work, but not for driving cause I very well have killed someone doing that.

I would rather not smoke and drive, however if I’m on a long Interstate slog I like to pull into a rest area, take a single hit, and continue on my way.

Perhaps during an evasive maneuver to avoid an accident.

The point was more of a way to demonstrate impairment in it’s early stages. You’re not perfectly fine thru three drinks & then BAM! that fourth drink is like a light switch rendering you suddenly drunk. Even a couple of drinks may slow your reactions just enough that that you hit that car/person/deer/box in the road or crash into a tree while swerving to avoid it.

I read an article awhile back that relates to this, sorry I can’t link to it.

They were discussing hands free phone devices and concluded that they weren’t really much of an improvement. They did a test of people driving with a deck of cards held to one ear and noted minimal effect on driving skills, it’s the engaging with the phone that’s the problem, not the holding.

They went on to claim that similar findings were what brought blood alcohol limits down to current levels. The difference between current and levels previous ones was judgement and reaction time, not motor skills. Dealing with the unexpected obstacle was harder than keeping the car in your own lane.

One time, years ago, I had to drive home three or four hours after taking a hit at a friend’s place. I wasn’t “high” anymore, and I got home just fine, but it was still one of the most unnerving drives ever. Never doing it again.

Ironically, all my best times and scores on video games like Mario Party and MarioKart are from when I was on a true high. It’s just a little easier to drive balls-out when slamming into another car is just fine, and a friendly Lakitu is ready and willing to retrieve you if you drive off the road.

The one time I remember driving high – this was like 25 years ago – all I had to do was move the car from the driveway to the street. Maybe had to go no more than 100 meters. The entire ordeal felt in slow motion, and I was paranoid the entire time I was going to mistake the brake for the throttle or or drive for reverse or something. It felt like an anxious eternity.

Oh, wait, there was one more time I was both stoned and surely above .08, and I took the regular streets (instead of highway) home to my house, which went through some rather interesting neighborhoods. My eyes were just glued on the speedometer and the lane markers, checking every other second that I was going the speed limit, and not too slow, not too fast. Watch the lights. Watch the stop signs. Just hyperaware and paranoid. Not at lot of traffic at that time of night, in that area. I passed a few cops, which made my heart skip beats, but they were too busy with other stuff. Once again, after an eternity, I got home. That was the absolute stupidest driving decision I have ever made. (I had actually called an Uber, but couldn’t find it, got impatient, and drove off.)

On the other hand, I’ve driven with more experienced smokers who were high, and I wouldn’t have known it by their driving.