Drug tests for jobs

I once had a company that did not do a drug test on me until the 1st day on the job. Had I failed the test I would have been screwed since I had already left my old job.

I don’t know if this was their standard policy but it looked like it was. When they did not test me during the interview process I figured they did not test at all. Maybe they never had anyone with a problem so they figured they could test after you showed up for work.

My God.

I’m appalled at all the people on this thread actually accepting and sticking up for the rights of companies to do drug tests. WTF? What I do in my own spare time is my own business. The only thing my company should be concerned with is whether I can do my job.

I’d also like to state that I do not use drugs. I can take a drug test at any time and be assured that I will pass it. Will I take one? F%#$ no. I’ve only had one company ask me to take one, and I told them “No, I think I won’t come in for that interview in that case, thank you very much.”

The fact that employers such as WalMart, Blockbuster, and all those other places who hire low income, unskilled labor force employees to take drug tests is abhorent. Whether or not a person smokes pot in their spare time or drinks alchohol is no concern to Walmart. If they show up at their job high or drunk, then it’s an issue. But until then, it’s none of their business.

Mods : This question has been asked and answered. Please close the thread, so that other GQ’s aren’t knocked off the first page.

Thanks to all those who answered the question.

I was rejected by Hollywood Video’s electronic application system because I answered no to “Would you submit to a drug test within the next two weeks?”

My current job didn’t require a drug test, but I was asked to apply for a national security clearance. The NSC application included questions such as “Have you illegally used any controlled substance in the past 7 years?” I read a few horror stories on the Internet from people who answered yes, but I didn’t want to risk prosecution for lying on the app, so I didn’t return the application at all. Now I have to ask other employees to open the door for me sometimes, but other than that it hasn’t affected me.

I would like to point out one fact, drugs are illegal (I don’t agree that all should be but right now they are). They might not effect you but you are still doing something illegal. It is not the only reason but I bet it is on the minds of the power that be. If you will break the law to do drugs what will stop you from selling company secrets or stealing directly from the company.

I currently am working for a lab that does (among many many other things) drug tests for other companies. I had to pass a drug test before I was hired - it was performed by another company so as to avoid bias. In my job, I handle and perform tests on bodily fluids, so they have to be able to trust me.

Athena, I have to agree. It is depressing to see how many people here think it is just fine for their employers to force them to piss in a bottle.

A conscience. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to distinguish between “illegal” and “immoral”.

Speeding, jaywalking, and underage drinking are all illegal too… if employers only hired people who have never broken any laws, who would still have a job?