Duck Boats. Would you ride on one?

I have not been on one, but I would go on one if the conditions were OK. In one of the interviews of a man either a survivor of the capsized boat or the other one that got back safely, he said “It was just starting to get real windy as we were boarding…” :eek::smack:

Stupidity probably had a role here, per Musicat.

We were in Hawaii recently. On the beach one morning a couple next to us decided to rent a couple of SUP. My wife heard him say to his GF/spouse “…it’s real easy…” as they walked down to the water and struggled to get the boards in thru the waves and rocks (they could have put-in in a sandy spot a few feet away). They paddled straight out, falling a few times, but never making a turn, then attempting to ride a few waves, miserably failing. After a few minutes we noticed they were way out there. Like, past the reefs, on the edge of the dark blue. The trades were blowing already and they were struggling to get back - paddling from their knees and not making any progress. Of course every time they paused to rest the wind would push them further out. We were thinking they would end-up across the channel in Lanai. Just when all hope seemed to be lost a Coast Guard rescue jet ski appears, and pulled them in with the boards.

It’s always interesting how people so horribly underestimate risk, especially when it comes to water. I bet the poor people on that duck boat thought “oh, well, they would not let the boat go out unless it was safe.”

Right, so apart from certain military situations, their only real utility is to appeal to tourists who are too lazy to get out of one and get into the other.

Tourists are lining up for duck boat tours in Hot Springs AR.

My wife and I are talking about visiting and taking the tour again. It’s been at least 10 years since we did.

To the contrary, the original DUKW boats excelled in bad weather:

Then let’s see the rational risk assessment that led to this conclusion.

I don’t have any assessment but my head saying “Girl, don’t do it”, sorry. My personal safety is kinda important to me. So far it has worked, as I am still alive.

I’m still alive and I’ve ridden in several DUKWs.

I’m not saying it’s without possible risk, but lots of things in life involve risk.

I came here to say the same thing. It’s great fun. The little history lessons about the Wisconsin River are great too.

By that logic it’s perfectly rational to fear monsters in the closet. I keep my closet door shut. So far it has worked, as I am still alive.

Yep, there are risks. The ones I can minimize, I will. Just how I roll.

I doubt any one has ever died because there was a monster in their closet. People have died on duck boats, they are patently unsafe.

How many of the original had canopies?

Although the first statement is true (People have died on a DUKW), I don’t think the second follows (they are patently unsafe).
Anyone know what the death / passenger mile (or hour) is for DUKW tour boats?

40 deaths since 1999 – but how many have ridden one?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/duck-boats-linked-to-more-than-40-deaths-since-1999/2018/07/20/8237957e-8c66-11e8-9d59-dccc2c0cabcf_story.html?utm_term=.1cefd8517099

Brian

I looked up deaths in rear ended Ford Pintos and the range is 27-180 people died as a result. I am thinking there were probably more people in Pintos than Duck boats. The Pinto was clearly unsafe. The Duck boats are unsafe. IMO.

Not an unbiased source, but “no issues in 47 years” for Wisconsin Ducks.

Maybe its because they aren’t [as] modified (some of the problem vessels are stretched). Also, while the Wisconsin River is wide in places, it isn’t a lake / ocean

Brian

James Hall has a different opinion:

Who is Mr. Hall and why should anyone care what he thinks?

Steve Paul has a similar opinion, and his was communicated directly to the tour company:

So irrational, with a topping off selection bias. This is how we get dumb shit like TSA security theater.

I’ve ridden the Boston duck boats a few times. I don’t think they are especially dangerous. They only go in the river, and I don’t think they even do that if there are waves or high winds or thunder. Also, they have a canopy on top, but the “windows” are just open space. If the boat capsized, it would be easy for everyone to get out via the window closest to each person. And the river isn’t super clean, but I doubt falling into it would kill you. And there are about a million people who would see the capsize and call for help. If you could keep your head above water for 10 minutes, I bet you’d be fine.

My selection bias does lean toward me, I am sorry. I dont think the TSA cares a whole hell of alot what I think about my personal safety.
The duck boats are unsafe, bottom line. Bungey jumping is unsafe too, but peeps will still do it. Swimming with sharks is unsafe, peeps will still do it. And pay money to do so. Dumb.

I only rode the ones in Branson as a kid, and I seem to remember having to wear a life jacket. I also could have sworn the windows were open.

What I remember most was the driver always letting a few kids drive once we were in the water (with him there able to take the wheel at a moments notice). I think I remember driving for a bit one of the times. but it could be conflation.

My memories from then are a bit hazy. It was mostly a thing done on school trips.