Dukes of Hazard meet their match

No, just when symbols of a crappy, low-brow TV show get smushed.

When Muddy Waters’ daughter says she’s offended by a confederate flag, I’m on her side.

There were plenty of black actors on the show:
Black actors on The Dukes of Hazzard , seasons 3-7:

Ji-Tu Cumbuka, “Opening Night at the Boar’s Nest”
Kevin Peter Hall, “Opening Night at the Boar’s Nest”
Al White (one of the “jive dudes” in Airplane! ),
“Cale Yarborough Comes to Hazzard”
Hal Williams, “Cooter’s Confession”
Herb Jefferson Jr., “Undercover Dukes”
Steven Williams, “High Flyin’ Dukes”
Wally Taylor, “A Boy’s Best Friend”
John Dewey Carter, “Brotherly Love”
Ella Mae Brown, “Vance’s Lady”
Ernie Hudson, “Dear Diary”
James Reynolds, “Good Neighbors, Duke”
Woody Strode, “The Great Santa Claus Chase”

Stolen from this thread where apparently some Dopers who are black enjoyed the show:

And did any of them stay for more than one episode?

I see a distinction between artifacts of real history and a prop from a TV show.

And seriously, if a confederate historical museum got hit by a tornado that was part of a hurricane, and then it flooded and everything inside was destroyed, it’s champagne time.

This I disagree with. Keeping a connection with our history is important. But there’s a difference between remembering our past and celebrating the wrong ideas we had in the past.

On the other hand, I would break out the champagne if the feature on this message board that automatically edits your posts was destroyed in a flood.

I wish it happened automatically! :grinning:

I searched “john schneider net worth” & got conflicting information. Some sites say $2 million, which sounds low to me considering his extensive credits (listed above). Other sites say $200,000, which is not enough to retire on for a person of his age (61).

$200,000 just might be enough to account for the value of his collection of General Lees (which are probably worth more to a collector than any old random '79 Dodge Charger). But surely he owns assets other than those.

Well, if a tree fell on the 1928 Porter from “My Mother the Car,” THEN I would be sad.

As far as I recall, it did not bear any nationalistic or racist symbols.

Also, just because somebody made a bunch of money a long time ago doesn’t man they still have it. Not all of us are shrewd investors. Some of us just use it to buy stuff, and eventually it runs out.

Those celebrity net worth sites aren’t worth much of anything. Sure, if you research a particular celebrity extensively, you might be able to find public records of real estate owned by them, if they own them in their own name. But I’m not sure if the public records will record mortgages and also, lots of people hide real estate ownerships through things like LLCs.

But some of those sites list many celebrities, and I think the data is just bullshit.

That seems low, even if he did recklessly waste his money on hookers, blow, and General Lees.

Even my house is worth more than that.

I suspect a misplaced decimal point, or missing zero at the end.

A friend of mine dislikes the show because there weren’t that many Dodge Chargers built that year, and the show went through a whole lot of them with the stunts.

I admit I enjoyed the show because, like @BigT, I weirdly didn’t twig that “General Lee” referred to Robert E. Lee. I wasn’t even paying attention to the flag on the roof. I was enjoying the scenery and the “foil the schemes of the corrupt authorities” theme.

Also, I really enjoy watching cars go fast. I enjoy being in a car going fast even more, but that doesn’t happen much, alas.

I’d put three vehicles in a row:

Jed Clampett’s 1921 Olds, from when rural Americans were on the margins. To the West Coast they’d rolled in in jalopies that Jed’s had to be a callback to. To the urban Easterners they were Appalachian Pappy Yokums/Snuffy Smiths sleeping on the porch of a falling down shack.

The Hazzard’s Charger. The 70s were heavy with 50’s nostalgia, and rockabilly moonshine runners would not be left out. The rebelliousness was aimed at the government that had lied about Vietnam, and forced truckers to follow traffic laws; not especially against Civil Rights, Blacks and Mexicans. These good old boys could deny any connection to their KKK forebears of only 15 years earlier because… they had long hair. Ronald Reagan and Jerry Falwell were telling rural America that they were the real Americans. Family farms and the small towns that supported them were about to be wiped out by corporate factory farms.

A humongous Ford F159 in outlaw black, rarely used to haul anything besides groceries. Payments and insurance eat up a larger percent of the family income than ever before in history, contributing to historic lows in personal savings. Nonetheless, a few more dollars are spent to install a “coal-roller” device, and equally aggressive bumper stickers.

Not mentioned in that list is Don Pedro Colley, who had the recurring role of Sheriff Little. To be fair, he was in Chickasaw County rather than Hazzard.

If they ever do a reboot, they could use this Charger.