Dumb stupid kids doing dumb stupid things + Police

Well things just get curiouser and curiouser.

I talked to a friend who’s a Deputy Sheriff in a nearby county…The response was: I did the right thing. The juvie system is a joke, these kids were in training for ‘bigger and better things’, and retaining my anonymity was absolutely the right thing to do. It’s unlikely they would have come this far south to my address, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

In what universe is a criminal given the victim’s address?

The most they’ll ever get is your name. And even if they were able to parse out where you lived based on your name, the reality is that retaliation against stranger victims is vanishingly rare. I’ve been in criminal defense work for six years and I’ve only heard of a few instances, and those involved murder witnesses being killed themselves–never tied back to the defendant, just speculated by the prosecutors. And seeing as the murder witnesses are usually themselves gangbangers, it may very well have been unrelated.

Your fears in this instance were almost totally unfounded.

Not only did they steal your phone but you were hurt trying to chase them. Press charges and then if you have hurt yourself you have a paper trail.

I’m glad you got your belongings back. That sounds awful what you went through. I always filed a police report because I wanted my purse back. They didn’t catch the kids but found my purse in the basement of a tenement a week later. I have been mugged twice and it really is best to report crimes. It may stop them from doing it again.

There are crimes that I might consider mere impulsiveness by stupid kids. Theft of a valuable object right out of somebody’s hand is not one of them. I’d press charges.

Different view. You are lucky your employer hasn’t taken you to task for leaving state property on the train to chase some thieves you should not have chased.

FWIW, I would press charges. I don’t care if “juvi” is a joke.

You’re pretty much guaranteed to hook up with a hot teacher, too.

Wow! I expected to get some flak for my “Hell, YES, press charges!”, but I see that almost everyone in the thread agreed with me. Surprising, and frankly, somewhat encouraging.

It’s been a pretty informative thread, all the way around Bro. I know it’s changed my world view.