Dumbest fashion trend you've bought into.

I used to wear a ridiculously large and glittery butterfly clip in my hair. Its wings fluttered when I walked. I wore it until it fell apart. I thought it looked fabulous, but I now cringe when I remember it. I don’t know what I was thinking.

I used to love slap bracelets. They were a giveaway at school. It doubled as a ruler. I spent an afternoon putting it on and taking it off.

I was an odd child.

Mall Hair.

Just…wow…

Yeah, I remember wearing that in high school.

Pretty much the standard haircut was some level of mullet.
Here is a perfect example of the 90s men’s style at my college. Turtleneck, a blousy oversized plaid or solid Ralph Lauren button down shirt, J Crew barn jacket (a 3/4 length lether or canvas jacket with a courdouroy collar), leather web belt and Duck Boots. Extra points if you are wearing a USC Gamecocks (iow “COCKS”) hat.

I have no such excuse, as I was in my early 20s, and was buying my own clothes. My younger sister is all pleased with herself because she says she never owned a pair. Sure, because she wore mine!

I bring you…

The high top fade . Yes that’s me, stylin’ in '93.

OMG! I wore these! Only worse, mine were two-tone brown. I also did this to my hair. (top row center, obviously not me) I was such a dork.

:: applause ::

Honestly, it’s not like it was a bad trend because it was classic clothing … but I still cringe when I think of the ferocious devotion we had, in the late '70s and early '80s to the Preppy look. You absolutely had to have an Izod polo shirt with an alligator, worn with chino pants and Sperry topsiders. Collar must be standing up. Must be Izod.

I remember my friend Theresa and I looking like twins in these get-ups. And then, about our sophomore years of college, we got utterly sick of it all when we were unpacking her stuff from the dorm one summer. In among her Izod Lacostes was a dreaded J.C. Penney’s FOX shirt, but the little fox had been ripped on and someone had sewn on an alligator. Right then and there we decided no fad was worth it.

Also, somewhere mixed in there was the Flashdance look … sweatshirts with the arms torn off, headbands and lots of mascara.

Nehru jackets. In the seventies. And you can still buy these things at Target? Good lord…

Disclaimer: I graduated HS and college in 1985 and 1989 respectively. I think the reason I wore only the most pegged of pants was in reaction to the bellbottoms of the 70s. We wanted there to be no hint of fullness down there. Now the swing between bellbottoms and “skinny jeans” is only one season.

I had to settle for the fox logo, too, except for a few castoff Real IZOD shirts. I did have a few knock-off brand preppie turtlenecks–whales and some other repeating logo.

I didn’t get crazy into fads, except maybe for grosgrain bow barrettes. What I did though was a fashion faux pas–instead of a solid color through pants, socks and shoes, for a longer look, I had to have my socks match my shirt. Red shirt, black pants, red socks, black shoes. Ugh.

Well, it’s a COSTUME. Probably on the same rack as the Pirate shirt…

What, no one’s mentioned acid-washed jeans?

Would you like that in blue or black?

Style #1 Tight rolled

Style #2 Tucked behind the tongue of your HUGE hightop shoes.

Hawt!

I’m exactly the same age as you, and I agree…it was a reaction to bellbottoms. Any hint of flare at the bottom of your jeans was the kiss of death. Remember how jeans were so narrow they had to have a zipper at the ankle?

Oh, yeah, the preppie thing freshman year of HS…the coolest girls in school had navy wide-wale cords, a green crew-neck sweater with navy trim & a navy monogram in the center of their chest, and a white turtleneck with the whales or whatnot on them. Plus Bass penny loafers, if you could get your parents to buy them for you. My mom said it was a flashback to her HS days in the 50s. We also carried those bermuda bags…the ones with a wooden handle that you could button various covers onto to match your outfit. Not a bad concept, actually.

A local mom opened a monogramming store in town at that time, and made money hand over fist selling those sweaters & bermuda bag covers and monogramming them.

Oh, yeah…every sweater had to have a matching pair of socks!

Thankfully I never bothered about clothes fashions. I did however get all my hair cut very short except for my bangs which were about 1 foot long.

It’s very hard to look good with hair like that.

I remember french rolling my jeans. Man, I was hella good at it too. I could get them suckers so tight around my ankles that my feet would literally go numb in like an hour, I had to take them out and let the feeling come back into my feet several times a day…god that’s sad.

Anyone remember Jams? You know the “shorts” that hung just below your knees, and were always made out of the brightest, ungodliness, horrible hawaiin (sp) fabric that could be found? yeah…I remember begging my mom to buy me a pair of them. She ended up just making some for my brother and myself. They looked HORRIBLE !! ! ! Bat stiching job, the drawstring was like really long shoelaces that would cut into your waist, but you had to do that or they’d fall down around your ass. We had to wear them to school one day. one of the worst days of my life. Ungh…

Ah, remember the very first stretch jeans? The ones that were pretty much alternating vertical strips of denim and lycra? Good times.

I was proud to sport **Sarahfeena’s ** “envelope” pants in 8th grade, but my real pride and joy was a tie-dyed rainbow pastel pair of parachute pants.
Ooh, and I had an acid washed jean skirt with ruffles all down the back.

I have worn a fem-mullet. I have worn the flipped/feathered hairstyle, when I don’t have the hair for it. I’ve worn suits with shoulderpads that made me look like a linebacker. I’ve worn neon colors that make your eyeballs bleed. I’ve never been a total slave to fashion, though, so I’m not guilty of most of these fashion faux pas.

[which isn’t to say I didn’t do some dumb fashion moves I came up with all on my own]

Marshmallow shoes. I did my confirmation in white marshmallows. I was sad.

Oh and jellies. The first time they came out. Nothing like plastic shoes in the middle of the summer to make your feet all striped with dirty and stinky.

Can’t think of many fads I followed post mid-70s.
Of course the late 60s and early 70s left plenty of time for plaid cuffed bell bottoms, those polyester “disco” shirts, shirts with puffy sleeves (I wanna be a pirate), and platform shoes.
Seriously, you look at how folks dressed back there and it is hard to believe they were not intentionally trying to look like clowns.