Dunkin Donuts vs. Starbucks and your coffee habits

I do that, too. Whenever we go someplace on vacation, we stop at the Dunkin’ Donuts up the street for a quick pit stop after we fill up on gas. I get a big cup of coffee (and always have a water bottle, too), and my husband and kids get donuts and milk.
Of course, that just means we have to make a potty stop in 45 minutes. :smiley:

I haven’t had a Dunkin Donut’s coffee in over 7 years, and that time it was 2 a.m. and the employee looked like carny would’d just made parole, it was vile brew and steeped in loathsomeness. I prefer to grind my own Starbuck’s French Roast beans and I drink it black.

However, as I am in NE Ohio, I will, in the interest of science, seek out a Dunkin’s this weekend and try a fresh cup of coffee and a cake doughnut. Maybe 2 or 3.

DianaG – saugus. The Krispy Kreme on Revere Beach Parkway (I’m pretty sure it’s in Everett, not Medford) doesn’t have a Dunkin Donuts next to it (although there’s one just north of the interesection of 28 and RBP).
They had to tear down Russo’s Candies to put in the Saugus KK. Now there’s nothing there!

I have a penchant for going to local joints whenever possible. Here in Saint Louis, that’s good because I have several excellent coffeehouses to choice from when I want coffee away from home. I don’t recall the last time I’ve gone to a Starbucks. Locally made donuts are usually better than the chains, too, so I haven’t been to a DD in decades and never had their coffee.

Kaldi’s coffeehouse on DeMun roasts their own beans and has great muffins and other pastry items and vegatarian dishes. They also supply the coffee to many of the best restaurants in town. This is the best coffee in town, IMHO. Their hummis is wonderful, highly recommended. Additionally, it’s the closest to where I live.

Mocabee’s on Arsenel just off S. Grand is a cruncy-granola lesbian hangout with good sandwiches and a, reportedly, great vegatarian brunch on Sunday. They use beans from Kaldi and make a very good cup of coffee, espresso and espresso-based drinks, including those with alcohol.

Coffee Cartel in the Central West End serves Hank’s Cheesecakes and Edy’s ice cream with their kiss-ass coffee cocktails. Their claim to fame is the alcohol and coffee mixed drinks. My two favorites are the Crazy Cappuccino, which is espresso with Bailey’s, Kahlua and Frangelico; and the Nutty Irishman with espresso, Bailey’s, Jameson and Frangelico. They’re also on a very busy corner so it’s great for people watching at their outdoor tables. Also, it’s dog friendly, even supplying a water bowl for the doggies hanging out with their people.

On the other end of the block from Coffee Cartel is The Grind, which has better straight-up coffee but no alcohol drinks. It’s also more out of the way so it’s quieter if that’s what you’re looking for.

I’m sure there are other good coffee spots around town; but I’ve got mine now, so I’m not even looking for more.

1. Dunkin most of the time, Starbucks if I’m feeling “special.”
  2. Regular, full-octane.
  3. Light and sweet–I take very little coffee with my cream and sugar.

I moved a few months ago, and now I’ve got a Starbucks less than a block away. I like going there for the more frou-frou blends and various iced, blended, whatever drinks. But if I just want plain old coffee, I’m going to Dunkin.

Sigh.
STOP IT!

When I went to school in New Hampshire, Dunkin Donuts was the only option.

It was absolutely vile. The dead souls powering the store’s orange and purple neon lights must have spread their despair to the coffee because it was awful. Watery, weak, and smelling of maple syrup. My father says this is because they add sugar to the grounds, which, if true is a separate abomination. I had my mother ship me coffee for the rest of the semester.

For the record, I don’t like Starbucks coffee either, but at least they put some effort into it.

Gah! I swear, I didn’t even read your post!!

1 - Starbucks or Dunkin? either. sorry, I don’t see a big difference
2- Type of coffee (‘standard’, decalf, vanella, etc) plain coffee
3 - What do you add to it black

I prefer my own coffee. Freshly ground beans, made either with a drip, perc, french press, etc according to what I feel like on a given day.