Dystopian novels

I’m really divided about Margaret Atwood. I enjoy her science fiction, but it pisses me off that she gets really offended at calling it what it is. She views herself as “better” than the SF ghetto.

There is the Wool/Shift series by Hugh Howey, classics like 1984 and Brave New World. There’s also Logan’s Run (which is the first of a trilogy), the two-book Half Past Human/The Godwhale by TJ Bass, We by Yevgeny Zamyatin has already been mentioned, any novel in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, City of Endless Night by Milo Hastings, and if I think of more I’ll be back with more suggestions.

“Dystopian” covers a lot of territory.

I didn’t care for Oryx and Crake because I wanted all the major characters to die. They were all such horrible people, I had a hard time caring about them. I finished the book more because I respect the author than any desire to see resolution of the story.

Jennifer Government, on the other hand, is a great fun dystopian book. I found it very entertaining and it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

I really like Octavia Butler, who has written multiple dystopian series. The Parable books are my favorites, but the Xenogenesis series is very good as well. I’d put Gateway by Fredrick Pohl in the dystopian genre. It’s a good book if you like dread (not fear, but dread).

• This Perfect Day * by Ira Levin
  • The Tomorrow File * by Lawrence Sanders

Too many listed to provide a synsopsis for each, but I have read all the below and enjoyed all of them.

Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth
Divergent
Allegiant
Insurgent

The Giver Series - Lois Lowry
The Giver
Gathering Blue
Messenger
Son

The Maze Runner Trilogy - James Dashner
The Maze Runner
The Scorch Trials
The Death Cure

Mathed Trilogy - Aimee Carter
Matched
Crossed
Reached

Uglies Series - Scott Westerfeld
Uglies
Pretties
Specials
Extras

Legend Trilogy - Marie Lu
Legend
Produgy
Champion

Razorblade Series - Ann Aguirre
Enclave
Outpost
Horde

Avatar Chronicles Trilogy - Conor Kostick
EPIC
SAGA
EDDA

The Bar Code Trilogy - Suzanne Weyn
The Bar Code Tattoo
The Bar Code Rebellion
The Bar Code Prophecy

Mad Tinker Chronicles - J.S. Morin
Mad Tinker’s Daughter
Rebel Skyforce
World Ripper War
Tinker’s Justice

Partial Series - Dan Wells
Partials
Isolation
Fragment
Ruins

Had the author wrong for this one:

Mathed Trilogy - Ally Condie
Matched
Crossed
Reached

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It was on a lot of best-of lists for 2014, with good reason.

Heh–Oryx and Crake came across like she thought she was slumming. “Oooh, look at me, the renowned and celebrated author, come to show you poor schmucks how to do literary science fiction right!” I found the book derivative and uninspired, doing nothing that I hadn’t seen other authors do better. It was the last Atwood I read.

But maybe I have strong opinions on the matter.

I will second 1984, Brave New World and We. They are classics in the genre for a reason and I will add Make Room Make Room. Soylent green was base don the book but, and I know it is a cliche, but the book was much batter. The Murder mystery that is the core of the movie is a small part of the book. It is a great piece of science fiction about a world that is dying under its own weight.

And in the book Soylent Green is not people. It’s Soy beans and Lentils, hence the name.

Havent read these yet, but they are on my to read list. These two books are actually part of a trilogy.

The Sprawl Trilogy
1.Nueromancer
2.Count Zero
3.Mona Lisa Overdrive

And the trilogy pairs nicely with Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson, another good dystopian novel.

I’m glad this website is mostly men, because I can say here that I thought “The Handmaid’s Tale” wasn’t very good, and not get my butt kicked for it.

No, it wasn’t not very good. It was AWFUL. I can’t believe some people think it’s one of the greatest books ever written.

How about Stephen King’s “The Stand”?

I’ve read “The Hunger Games” series, and also the first “Divergent” book; however, finishing “Divergent” was a chore because the story got really weird about 3/4 of the way into it.

It’s not great, but it’s big, dystopian in an “extrapolate real-world problems” way, and pretty entertaining: Stand on Zanzibar, by John Brunner

The only people who think it’s “one of the greatest books ever written” are people who haven’t read any other science fiction.

I admitted I have enjoyed reading her books. That doesn’t mean I think they’re great books, just that they entertained me for awhile which isn’t exactly a high bar to meet most days.

Oh, the OP didn’t specify mostly reality-based dystopias or those with fantastical elements. The Stand, for example, gets off into mysticism and magical happenings after a certain point but The Handmaid’s Tale doesn’t, and relies entirely on real-world physics.

Another lesser known group of dystopian novels are The Rifters Triology by Peter Watts: Starfish, Maelstrom, and Behemoth. He also wrote another novel in the same universe called Blindsight.

If you can stand pointless gratuitous sex and mediocre writing, In the Drift by Michael Swanwick isn’t that bad. (It’s also not that good, but I still like it)

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

The Domination of the Draka trilogy. South Africa becomes a continent spanning nation and the first book leads with their push into Europe during the Second World War. Not for everyone as the main protagonists are, you know, fighting for a militaristic slave state but it’s a pretty good read, imho.

I seriously don’t consider these Gibsons to be dystopian - unless we currently live in a dystopia.

You left out the White-power racist aspects of said militaristic slave state.

I thought that was a given but thanks for pointing it out. I guess some younger posters might’ve have thought I meant a Black power slave society coming out of South Africa.

Of course, with some exceptions they weren’t planning on the white Europeans they conquered being free.