Early 90s Internet, U of Iowa message board

Another thread about Internet fads had got me thinking to when I first started telnetting in the early 90s. There was a popular (at least I thought it was) message board that was hosted at the University of Iowa. For some reason, I wanted to say it was at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu, but that just seems to be a cluster of servers and I might just be mixing it up with a friend’s email address.

This message board had a lot of Cafe Society-, IMHO-, and MPSIMS-type discussion on it. I wouldn’t be surprised if some Dopers are well acquainted with that board. Can anyone tell me what it was, and what became of it? For as much time as I spent on it back in the day, I can’t for the life of me remember what it was.

Several University of Iowa boards are mentioned here.

I seem to recall spending some time there. I was in grad school at Iowa in 93-94 and did some of that. I was more of a BBS guy at the time but I do remember that weeg address and asking questions and such there.

I think I am actually conflating the weeg address with the bbs. I’m pretty sure that the weeg address was the email server for a friend of mine that went there.

I’m almost positive that ISCA was the name of the BBS. The “peak of popularity” section of the Wikipedia article describes everything I remember about it, from the queue during busy hours to the range of topics and general popularity of the BBS. Even “Dave’s Own Version of Citadel” rings a bell.

Yep…it was certainly ISCA…I was a pretty regular visitor there from 93-95 or so. Twas an interesting place.

That’s pretty much the same time I used to visit, 93 through 94. Honestly, I can’t even remember why I stopped posting there (perhaps the whole going-to-school-to-learn thing got in the way). It’s a trip to see that the place is still running, with pretty much exactly the same forums I remember. The Top Ten lists forum being one of the one that I remember the clearest. I wish I could remember the name of other users, but I’m drawing a complete blank.

I used ISCA, more in 95-97 or so. My username was “TheWass”, but I also remember Ray Smurf, Me Down By The Sea, Frocheese, and Darlin Niki.