Eat This, Not that!

I think the difference between homemade foods and store-bought foods is not that there is NO sugar or salt in homemade bread or cookies (or whatever), it’s that you put a reasonable amount in when you’re cooking at home (you put a pinch of salt in your potato water, not a half cup). Plus there’s no stuff other than flour, salt, baking soda, butter, eggs and brown sugar in your cookies, not a long list of multi-syllabic chemicals.

It’s startling to start recording your food intake and exercise. I thought I was a healthy eater, and I was fairly close, but some of my misconceptions were big ones (hence the weight gain creeping up on me). The great thing I’m noticing about the aging Boomer population is that there are more low-sodium choices at Safeway all the time.

I’ve remarked on this book a couple of times. What really jumps out at me besides the stuff mentioned already are stuff about the book itself: their screaming fainting hysteria over every single carb, and their pride at “singlehandedly” forcing companies to take down menu items “for everyone’s own good.”

Not sure whether either is good or not, so I started threads about 'em.

You should watch the film Food, Inc. Essentially, nearly everything we eat is corn.

Processed foods have added sodium and/or sugar to reduce the level of water activity. Water activity is used as a measure in the food industry to determine shelf life, reduce spoilage, inhibit the transfer of fat within prepared foods, etc.

Water has a ‘water activity’ of 1.0 (doh). By adding salts and sugars the water activity can be lowered to meet the goals above. Essentially the salts and sugars tie up the water in a way that makes the water unavailable for microbial growth. There are other considerations regarding quality and texture that are improved also.

Almost any food that you buy in a prepared form has had the water activity lowered by the addition of salts and sugars. Lean Cuisines are marketed for ‘low fat’ reasons. The ‘better for you’ claims are based upon the reduction in fat.

If you want to control sodium and sugar intake, in additon to calories, you have to stay away from any pre-made food. More boring info here:

We’re talking about a book here? Oh, there it is in the first line. Not sure how I missed that. Anyway, they hate carbs? I love carbs. We’re supposed to have 40% of our diet as carbs, you know (and 30% fat! Woohoo! And cholesterol - you need it for your cell membranes. This is why we’re all supposed to eat a very varied diet.)

HFCS is “cheap” if you fail to understand that the cost of subsidizing the product is passed on to the tax paying members of this society.

HFCS subsidies amount to about $1 per person every year. Take that away and HFCS is still dramatically cheaper than any other sweetener.

OK, let me re-word that. HFCS does not cost the companies that use it as much money as other sweeteners do. And that’s why they use it.

Yes, I think you were whooshed.

Uh, you too, I assume.

Here’s one:

Did you realize… Popular spray ‘‘butter’’ has less than five calories per pump, so they can list it as “0” calories per serving based on rounding guidelines.

Some people think that they can spray a veggie 5-10 times and have 0 calories from the tasty butter spray.

Unfortunately, these unsuspecting users could be pumping numerous calories onto numerous servings. I’ve seen people go crazy with the stuff. After all, it’s 0 cals per serving (not).

I love this book! I learned alot from it and feel like I’m eating more healthy because of it.

The thing that I was surprised about was how many calories and how much sugar so many drinks have. Those Starbuck’s coffee’s and fruit juice blends can really add on the pounds quickly. I’m at the point where I drink primarily water and I do not miss those sweet drinks.

What I like most is how they try to teach you that there are better choices on most of the foods you eat if you take the time to read labels. Labeling is so deceptive. I bought Multi Grain bread products all the time until I realized they are made with enriched flour. Now I only eat Whole Wheat bread

Just like with anything, having HCFS in your diet is all about moderation. Limiting that and many other kinds of sugar (the book goes into alot of detail about all the different names that sugar is listed under in ingredient labels) will help you not just lose weight but make better choices in what you eat.

This explains why, whenever I go to the States, the bread tastes like cake.

Growing up I got whatever sugar coated candy they were calling cereal at the moment, and I’ve got the cavities to prove it. Now when I buy for myself I avoid it at all costs. I just don’t like the taste anymore.

Odd…

Yes, because we have only one kind of bread in America.

ETA: Just checked the ingredients list on mine. No HFCS. So I guess we have two kinds.

Sorry, I omitted “the vast majority of stuff from the supermarket…” from my post.