Eating Dogs

Die-hard, redneck (reformed) hunter checking in here.

My freezer is full of meat that I killed, dragged home, and skinned myself. I think everyone should be required to do this at least once in their life or else be denied the right to eat meat. I really hate people who tell me hunting is cruel, and then they go have a hamburger. City-bred Americans are the biggest bunch of spoiled babies I’ve ever seen. Just my $.02.

On Koreans: I lived with Koreans for a while in college and ate (almost) all their food. This was in the US, so no dog, but the people I knew had eaten dog before they came over. They lead me to believe that small dogs were preferred for eating. Maybe there’s a regional preference?

On the fish question: Most of the fish we eat are carnivores, but it seems to me that they still eat things we wouldn’t, like minnows, worms, other small ocean life, so they still fit into the rule with cows and pigs.

On pets/survival: If me or my family is starving, the cat will be the first one to go. Didja ever see that episode of Survivor:Austrailia when the guy killed the wild pig with a spear? During the blood and guts part of the experience, everyone was standiing around telling the guy what an asshole he was. Then they cut to the scene of some babyback ribs roasting over a campfire, the smell hit everyone (who hadn’t had anything but rice for weeks) and suddenly the guy was a hero. I think that’s how it would play out. You might be a member of PETA, but starve for a few weeks and then get a whiff of a cheeseburger, you’ll change your tune quickly.

I’m a die-hard meat eater (mmm, steak), but that statement is a little misleading. A cow eats some grain, then wastes a lot of the energy with silly things like walking around, playing with other cows, keeping warm, mooing, etc. Some years of this later, we kill it and eat part of it (we leave the bones, most of the organs, etc.) If that same amount of land used to grow vegetable matter for cows had been used to grow, say, beans, it would have produced much more food in the end.

So if we (by which I mean meat eaters) overlook all of that and just be honest and say “meat is tasty,” then what difference does it make what sort of meat it is? Sounds like hypocrasy to me.

As long as we’re killing dolphins in the tuna net, put 'em in a can already. :eek:

(Dolphin salad samich?)

Ah, the beauty of being at the top of the food chain.

I for one am really glad that the highest animals on the food chain have the capacity and philosophical desire to select which animals to eat and not to eat.

I’d eat dog,
not my own,
not anyone’s.
but wild dog, yep
farm raised as cattle, yep.

I Just don’t think they would be very tasty though.
“If we’re not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?”

What about those of us that just disagree with killing for fun?

Well, if you want to call it killing for fun, then I’ll respectfully disagree, but recognize your right to your opinion.

But I don’t see it as killing for fun. The killing part is for food. If I’m going to eat meat, then something has to die (or at least lose a limb, but that’s just gross).

I ask you, is there a difference between killing a deer myself and eating it and buying a hamburger at McDonalds? Either way, something dies. Why does it matter whether it’s a deer or a cow?

And secondly, Killing is only a very small part of hunting. Yes, it is the point. People who’ve never hunted picture a bunch of guys rambling out into the woods, picking out a poor helpless animal, and shooting it at close range. This is far from the truth. I’d elaborate, but I don’t want to lengthen this hijack any more than necessary.

I think amarone was referring to hunters who don’t eat what they kill.

It seems that the dogs are usually just mutts, called dong-kae (shit dogs) because they are said to thrive on Chindo feces. Incidentally, if this were true, it would mean that they weren’t carnivores and there would be more justification for people eating them.
Well. I’ve had dog. Not great, tasted rather like stringy, fatty lamb, as has been previously stated. I believe it’s usually eaten in the summer - it’s supposed to cool you down. And, yes, it’s expensive.

I don’t eat anything from our “farm” because I hate the taste of lamb, not because they are “pets”. (wife raises pet-grade sheep) The wife has no problem with mowing them down, however, but it is rare indeed. They are worth more on the hoof than on the broiler.

Also, see sig. This sums up quite a bit how I feel about dogs.

Never kiss an animal that can lick its own butt.

I’m honestly sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, I hate those guys as much as you do.

I also have a personal rule, I don’t kill other predators. I think that’s where men usually cause the most havoc with the natural balance. Plus, I consider it a kind of professional courtesy.