[QUOTE=Jodi]
I don’t care if people eat in my seminars as long as they aren’t: (a) disgusting (mouth-open chomping); (b) distracting (loud crinkling and crunching); or (c) nauseating (pervasive smell of warmed-over dog-shit curry delight). I think it is ridiculous to argue that distracting, disgusting, or nauseating behavior should be tolerated due to a lack of planning or finances, or even medical conditions or homelessness.
IOW, I see people arguing that sometimes you must either eat in class or go without food. That wasn’t my experience nor is it a common problem that is bitched about on my campus, because if it was, they’d address it. So I don’t buy it, sorry. And Vinyl Turnip I laughed my ass off at your post. 
[/QUOTE]
That may not be a problem on your campus because of the size of your school, or of your department. I can imagine smaller schools/departments having more of a problem with this.
As I see it, there are two perspectives:
EATERS: You might feel the need to eat, but you should make a sacrifice. The sacrifice you need to make isn’t going hungry: the sacrifice you need to make is that you’ll stick to unobtrusive foods. There are many, many different types of unobtrusive foods, and it’s certain that at least some of them are palatable to you. Even if a cheese sandwich (for example) isn’t your favorite food on earth, go ahead and choose that for lunch over a bowl of teriyaki, because the cheese sandwich doesn’t intrude on other folks’ education.
NON-EATERS: You might dislike being surrounded by eaters, but you should make a sacrifice. The sacrifice you need to make isn’t sitting quietly while folks slurp noodles or crunch Fritos or fry garlic in the seat next to you; the sacrifice you need to make is sitting quietly while folks eat unobtrusively. Yeah, you might not like it, but just as they’re meeting you halfway by choosing unobtrusive foods, you should meet them halfway by not speculating on the dire conditions that lead them to eating in class.
It doesn’t really matter whether someone is eating in class because they’re diabetic or because their class schedule is 14 hours straight classes or because they’re a mite peckish in the afternoons. As long as they’re trying to be unobtrusive, you can try to overlook the food.
That right there is a microcosm of liberal philosophy a la Daniel :).
Daniel