[QUOTE=Vinyl Turnip]
Seem to be a lot of sufferers of “hypoglycemia” among the defenders of in-class dining. Is this really such a common condition, or is it another one of those things (like bibliomania, genius-level intelligence, ADD, and Asperger Syndrome) that seems to manifest itself in Dopers at a much higher ratio than in the general population?
[/QUOTE]
I’m starting to catch it, myself. It is contagious you know.
No seriously though, what I mean is, after reading this thread, I’m starting to think I might have a problem.
I’ve tried to go without food for several hours before, and while I wouldn’t say it was impossible, it seemed to me the effects were really severe. Like, I’d start to feel really lethargic, as in, strongly tempted to refuse to move any part of me at all. I’d start to get bad headaches, nausea, and so on. The worst thing was also kind of strange: I’d get really sad. This sounds weird, but I can’t deny it: going without food for more than three hours or so literally makes me feel depressed, like I want to just collapse to the floor and cry. You got me why this should be.
So anyway, I just figured, “Well, this must just be what people feel like when they’re really hungry,” and so figured it was just the kind of thing one has to tough one’s way through when one ought not to eat for a while.
And I do think there can be situations where I ought to go through that rather than eating.
But I’m starting to think the physiological reactions I just described aren’t normal.
And I do know that my mother is hypoglycemic. (This is medically certified.
And her whole family has blood sugar issues, so its both certified and plausible.)
I also know my mom is depressed in the must-take-medication-or-go-crazy-with-insane-sadness sense. Is there a connection between hypoglycemia and depression?
So anyway, this all starts to make me think maybe I’ve got some kind of minor hormonal imbalance, inherited from my mom’s side, that ends up giving me “blood sugar issues” as well, though issues not nearly so severe as those suffered by my mom and people from her family.
Or, on the other hand, maybe it’s all in my head.
Point is: I find it very plausible that the prospect of going without food for a few hours is a much more serious and difficult prospect for some than it is for others, even if this doesn’t amount to there being a large number of people who have full blow hypoglycemia.
-Kris