Eating in class - that's a beatin'

[QUOTE=Queen Bruin]
And many alternatives to chips are available in the vending machines on campus, as I pointed out before. I have to resort to handfuls of nuts and the like from the campus store. I usually make the point of snarfing the whole thing down before class starts, however.
It’s people being people when it’s in certain settings. If you’re in a project meeting, I bet you don’t reach for the Funyuns.
They are. At work, I can comfortably tune anything out on my iPod, not to mention an awful lot can get absorbed in the background noise of the cubicle farm.

At school, I am straining to hear a single person talking in a huge room of 300 people. It’s not the same thing.
I have my own place; I actually study often at home or at my husband’s law school, where people seem to have a fucking clue.

And posting several lengthy posts to a thread on this topic while claiming “not to have a dog in this fight” is what, exactly? Why are you “hypersensitive” to my complaint?
Also, why have you not read the fucking thread, evidently? I sympathize greatly with students that don’t have a lot of time. I sure as fuck don’t have any myself when I take 18 units, commute as far as I do (about 200 miles a day, all told), and have to maintain a household and a marriage on top of it. Somehow though I manage to find time to not eat in class, or find the manners to eat (or drink, more usually) something unobtrusive if I absolutely must in class - a rarity.

Trying to paint me as some hypersensitive idiot and everyone else in my class as perfect angels of work ethic is fucking ridiculous. I work harder than anyone else I know. I dropped out of high school in the ninth grade and I busted my fucking ass to be at UCLA at the grand old age of 26. I commute 200 miles a day to be in class, yet I am in class on time almost always (the 405 being what it is, I make no guarantees) and manage to keep my food problems contained. Blow your rhetoric out your rusty shithole of a mouth.
[/QUOTE]

 You and I could get along just fine, Queen.  I, too, must keep my gurgling stomach at bay and scarf down what I can before and between classes or during breaks.  As the instructor, I'm supposed to set an example. 
    Not that they all follow it, of course.   Too many students think that the classroom is their personal entertainment center and dining room.   Never mind the noise, never mind the mess they make, never mind that the college honchos have handed me a policy which flat-out states that eating in class is a disruptive behavior.  Never mind that the custodians get stuck with more dirty work than they already have.   Never mind that we get bees, wasps and the occasional rat.

Never mind any of that, because nobody/nothing seems to matter to the crunchy munchy contingent except their own immediate gratification.