Eating live fish

No.

Utterly disgusting. I think the worst part is the sound of the people laughing. I feel sick. the chopped up fish is horrid too.

Either these people have a mistaken belief that animals don’t feel pain, or they are full-on psychopaths. I’m with Grumman. If you think this is fun, I don’t want you in my life.

Eating living anything is not only not kosher, it violates one of the Seven Noachic Laws which may result in a Gentile losing his place in the World-to-Come. It’s not Kosher for Jews OR Gentiles.

I, too, was going to note that in certain circles, live mini-carp have been a popular menu item in college towns for quite a while.

I am a vegetarian but don’t have a problem with those who wish to eat meat doing so. However this sort of stuff is just sick. And just o add to the general ick factor - what is it with wanting to eat beating hearts of animals??? http://www.blogged.com/stories/curiosities-oddities/beating-heart-of-a-frog-and-other-bizarre

In Korea, I had octopus sushi that was so fresh, the chopped-off tentacles were still wriggling. I didn’t actually seek this out; I was with a bunch of co-workers and my boss and didn’t want to lose face. It wasn’t bad.

I don’t know why people who otherwise eat meat get so het up about this sort of thing. The only significant difference between the suffering of an animal eaten alive and an animal eaten dead is about four minutes.

An unnecessary four additional minutes of suffering is what makes it unacceptable. I’d be equally displeased upon being presented with meat that was subjected to prolonged torture prior to death rather than a quick, as-painless-as-possible slaughter.

That, by the way, is why I stopped eating veal - I found the conditions under which veal calves to be inherently unacceptable to me.

Are you talking about the lifelong suffering that is inherent to some methods of farming? Yes, that’s a bad thing, but (rightly or wrongly) a person can be unaware that it happened to the steak on their plate. Doesn’t make the suffering right, but it doesn’t make the diner a cruel monster either.

A person cannot be aware of suffering of something that is subjected to a prolonged death on the plate, at the table.

So to choose meat without caring about its background is potentially grossly irresponsible. To explicitly want to extend its suffering for the purposes of tittilation is bordering on psychopathic.

Yea, here is the video that shows how they prepare it. Johnny is right about the preperation…
The fact that the spine is not severed leads me to clearly believe that this fish is still alive… That isn’t “residual nerve firing” that is clearly a living fish with intact neurological and pain synapse. Sure, it might meet certain criteria for technical anatomical death- but not all of them… and especially not for fish physiology.

I’ve had live scallops. They are a treat.

How do you think the other fish you eat die? They suffocate. It is not quick. I’ve caugh game fish that flopped for what seemed like a good ten, maybe fifteen minutes. This is after an exhausting fight in the water.

Yar, I can’t imagine the taste of something alive is SO much better than it’s being dead that it’d be worth it. Or that the TASTE of anything would be worth extra suffering, either, so…yar.
No thankees. That’s not art; that’s torture.
ETA: I haven’t fished in 20 years, but when I did, I killed the fish promptly rather than wait for it to suffocate. I mean, why not? What’s the point of letting it flop around?

Oysters are out then?

I’ll take squirming fish over cheese with live maggots any day.

Better to drown, than to be disembowled and suspended in boiling oil from the chest down, only to be conscious as someone enjoys my cracklins.

we are probably talking about two different types of consciousness

Perhaps… but who am I or you, for that matter, to know or speculate? But the method and intent of death that I point out are the same.

I draw the line at my food moving. I’ve been served freshly killed eel that was still squirming and that creeped me out. It didn’t have a head so it wasn’t a cruelty issue but I still had to wait for it to quit dying before I could partake. I could probably eat something that was technically alive as long as it wasn’t moving the oysters listed above would be a perfect example.

I love sushi.

I have killed and cleaned fish.

I have worked extensively in the aquarium trade and have euthanized, over the years, a good number of fish that were to sick or too inexpensive to be worth medicating.

So I’m no bleedingheart PETAhead.

But these video clips are horrifying. Put me off sushi for a while.