eBay plagerists. Can I do anything?

It is easy to do. Find or make your replacement picture. Name is the same as the picture on your host server. Rename your original, I usually just add an X. Go to the server hosting your picture, add your renamed original, go to Ebay and change your coding to reflect your renamed pic, go back to the server, delete your original and insert the nasty pic with the same name as your original. I do it in the order above to avoid the nasty pic from ever showing in my auctions. The deed is done. If the pictures can also be viewed from other sources, such as a personal website, you will have to revise your site too.

As far as the reality of pushing the copyright issue, Chico Marx’s quote would be more wisely applied here: “Now, that runs into money”.

Is there any way the OP can “gray” out the option to “Save Picture As”? Sometimes, I come across picts at different websites which cannot be saved and/or the “print” option is “grayed-out”.

• Jinx

General Q for Racer72 and the OP: If someone has already bid on the OP’s item, EBay’s rules may not allow the OP to edit the path for his/her picts. At least, I believe this is true as they do not allow you to change the description of your item once the first bid has been placed. - Jinx

Not quite.

When you create a work of original intellectual property, you automatically own the copyright to that intellectual property. And copyright is exactly what you’d think - the right to copy or reproduce that work.

“You don’t have a formal copyright” doesn’t mean anything. You own the copyright on your own original work whether or not you state this fact, with or without a copyright symbol. The fact that many businesses and people affix a copyright symbol to their work is purely a matter of convention (and possibly pride), and in some cases may have a practical benefit in that you thereby create an actual documented statement of copyright. But it doesn’t affect the existence of the right itself, which is yours until such time as you rescind it or legally assign it to someone else.

However, seeking “a court injunction” is not going to be viable unless you have a lot of time and money to throw at the problem. Also, given that all that’s at issue is a single photograph or a short item description, some legal minds may feel it’s taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Legal rulings on copyright generally arise where there are significant financial or other profits to be made from the right to copy. This is why, for example, the right to reproduce the ‘Star Wars’ logo on a toy is very heavily protected.

Where significant matters of profit are not an issue, the only legal remedy you’re going to obtain is a formal notice to ‘cease and desist’ which needs to be issued by your legal representative to the trangressor. It’s your call whether it’s really worth the hassle pursuing this, but I’d suggest not.

On balance, forget the legal remedies. As other have said, you’re best seeking redress either through the people at eBay themselves or by using the watermark or the ‘renamed source file’ trick.

"true as they do not allow you to change the description of your item once the first bid has been placed. "

But you can add to it.

It’s been a while since I posted on e-bay but i’m reasonably sure that they allow pretty much the full spectrum of html in a seller’s page. It is possible through the use of a very small and easy to find javascript to disable a user’s ability to right click and pull up he contextual menu on a web page. Unfortunately, if your nemesis is a mac user it will make no difference since the menu is accessed by holding the mouse button down given there is only one button.

http://javascript.internet.com if they’re still up they have the script. I use it a lot on a number of my sites.