Ebay, so it's a "friggin goldmine"

as an example on the designer jeans-- Dillards recently put many designer clothes on clearance…at 50-75% off…so a pair of Allen B jeans that was around $400 might now be $100. Sometimes, Dillards will do an additional 30% off all clearance items on a weekend sale. Now you are getting them at 70 bucks. Sell them at 35-50% of retail, and you are doubling your money. Buy 8-10 pairs a week…etc…

Some sizes in the hottest styles will get almost full retail, as well. I searched far and wide for a pair of Allen B black lace jeans in size 26 for Christmas, even on Ebay they were going for full retail, luckily I found one pair in the back room of a local Dillards a week before Christmas

Also ,many of the designer clothes are coming from the outlets…if the tags are cut, or have a line drawn through them, then they are from an outlet store

I’m making about $300 a month eBaying, at the moment, and doing it reasonably part time. I’m also running out of my stock, so I’m looking at opening up a eBay-it-for-you store, and seeing if I can make that work. As other posters have said it’s a lot about researching, and building your reputation. In a lot of ways it’s like any other business, the reputation you make is what really helps sell your products.

**Veuve_ClicquotNJ ** .

Before eBay, check with replacements.com to see if they want to purchase your china and flatware for their resale purposes. A friend recently sold $800 worth of stuff to them, remnants of a previous marriage and items handed down by an aunt.

She was unable to read the markings on the china and thought that she’d use replacements to make the indentification and then use that info to sell on eBay. After comparing what it would sell for on eBay and what replacements was going to offer, she selected replacements.

You submit photos, pattern info, etc., and they’ll give you an immediate reply. They are also able to identify patterns and vintage if you are unable to do so. They’re really expert at what they do. They sell by the piece rather than by the set and can charge more for individual pieces.

http://replacements.com/

How do you start off as a seller on Ebay, without an established reputation as someone trustworthy?

That’s a good idea! I actually use Replacements.com to fill out my mom’s wedding china (the one pattern I’m keeping). Her’s is Noritake, and part of it is pre war with simply “Rose China” on the bottom & the other half has the Noritake mark but no pattern name. I photocopied the plate (this was 10 years ago), mailed it to them and voila - “Lynbrook”. They also identified her crystal (Cherokee Rose). I’ll email them & see what they say about the buying issue.

Thanks!

VCNJ~

You first build up a rep as a trustworthy buyer.

My sister lives in a town with a number of potteries and pottery showrooms, including some nationally-known companies. She buys pottery and ceramics at the showrooms at a steep discount, and then resells them on eBay. She hasn’t made it a fulltime job, but easily could, if she were so inclined. She’s earned a pretty penny doing that.

Hmm. I don’t want or need anything at all really. What do you reckon I could buy that wouldn’t cost me much but would build my rep?

The reason I ask is that I’m about to an entire household of stuff out of storage, and there’s bound to be tons of crap I no longer want.

Well, you can get some DVDs on the cheap via eBay. (I’ve found some I’ve wanted for as little as $0.99 each. Plus S&H) Likewise CDs can go very cheap. As can paperback books.

Or you could simply ship those things off to a reputable person who has a digital camera, a 60+ (and growing) eBay rating, and a willingness to do the eBay stuff for you. (Not to name any names… :smiley: )