Educate me about Skype-compatible cellphones

Here’s a better link for looking at an example Android phone/data plan through T-Mobile. You can see that the phone needs a “data service” plan and that comes with “High-speed 3G network connection for surfing the web or downloading information quickly.” This pretty much means an internet connection on your phone through the cell towers.

Here is what 3G means: It stands for “3rd generation” and Wiki says “services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates”

nyctea scandiaca did a much, much better job of explaining that I could have done! But I was thinking again about this last night, and I’m not sure my idea of buying the skype phone and using it in the US will work, because the US and the UK use a different type of mobile phone system (I think. We’re hitting the limits of my understanding of mobile phones here. But I think you need a special type of phone to work in both the UK and the US, and this skype phone is unlikely to be one of them.)

Buying a phone that can access the internet through its 3G connection (using the phone network as a wireless internet network, essentially) and installing a skype app on it is probably going to be your best bet, though it might be expensive. And it’s not ideal for what you want, looking back at your OP. But it would allow you to have portable skype - though you might be better off seeing if skype will forward your unanswered skype calls to (as-yet non-existent) your mobile phone number, if you just need a way for people to contact you while you’re not on your computer. Then you don’t have to give out the number, and it will be like people are calling you on Skype as far as they’re concerned. (I’m not sure if this is possible, I very rarely use Skype. But it might be worth looking at.)