Educational films from elementary school

I remember the “Simpsons” parody. My favorite part was where this man was laying in bed saying, “I sure am glad I don’t live in a world without zinc!” and Bart wiggles his finger in the beam and says, “Hey, he’s picking his nose!”

When I was in college, I saw a film, screened at the student union, called “Men’s Lives” that won awards, and I have not been able to find it either, online or on any video format. It was just shots of men going about their daily lives, and was very uplifting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251254/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

BEEP

Wow. My Prom Night ended significantly different. :wink:

Be sure to have you copybook.

The only educational films I really remember was a short career-development series starring, of all people, William Shatner. I had just discovered Star Trek in syndication and even then was aware that he wasn’t exactly the world’s greatest actor, but I remember being impressed by his work in this series, talking to young people about different jobs and how people do them.

I started grade school in the mid-60’s. don’t remember any titles to any of the movies they showed.

I do remember how stupid film strips were though. I hated looking at the same picture while the record droned on.

I think Miss Clark and Barbara Billingsley were separated at birth. :eek:

I can think of 3 educational films that stuck with me:

• “Donald in Mathemagic Land” has already been mentioned

• Bill Cosby’s Bicycles Are Beautiful stayed with me because (a) I thought Bill Cosby was funny at the time and (b) he had an odd way of pronouncing “bicycle” as two words (“buy cycle”).

• In grade 9, we saw a Disney film about VD (starring Keenan Wynn!) where the syphilis and gonorrhea germs are little soldiers: VD Attack Plan

I also think I remember a science film (possibly about the circulatory system?) where a living dog was set up with its beating heart removed from its chest cavity; it was attached to the rest of the circulatory system with plastic tubes, I think. At least, I don’t think that was just a nightmare…

Was it Experiments in the Revival of Organisms? Though if *that *was shown in your school class… :eek:

I remember the flicks in the OP and “Hemo.” The part I remember most about the Great Lakes is when the trapper dips his mug into the cool, pure lake water for a drink unaware that it has become foul with pollution until he drinks…

My time in school was during the changeover from films and film strips to videotapes.

I don’t recall the educational films where the boys and girls were separated. We did see things like Hemo the Magnificent in science class and the Red Balloon in some other one.

What I do recall seeing was some type of motivational presentation that everyone was brought together to see in the auditorium. There were like three screens on the stage and the film showed scenes from things in popular culture. The one part I remember seeing was the scene from Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan where Kirk says he needs more time and Khan replies that time is a luxury he doesn’t have. To this day I don’t know what the point of this was and nobody else seems to remember it.

RiffTrax had one of the best lines on one of their educational short riffs (Measuring Man).

“Coronet Films. Jesus, do we have to teach you EVERYTHING?”

I do. One day in Grade 5, we boys went to see one film in the gym, and the girls went someplace else to see a film for them. We saw what appeared at first to be a father taking his boys, probably 10 and 12, on a fishing trip. While fishing, one of the boys asks something like “Where do babies come from?” Father explains the processes of conception and childbirth in simple terms that even we ten-year-olds could understand.

I’m guessing that the girls saw the same sort of thing (though more girl-oriented, such as a mother and her daughters), because when we were all reunited in our classroom, we looked at the girls a little differently, and they looked at us a little differently, and nothing between boys and girls in our grade was the same after that.

This happened when I was in sixth grade. The only thing I remember from the movie is this animated outline of a boy sitting naked in a chair with his legs spread, so you could watch his brain sending messages to his testicles, telling them to get on with it!

After it was over, our teacher (a male WWII vet) told us “In case you’re wondering, the girls saw the same movie, except with girls in it.”

Okay; whatever you say, sir! :dubious: :confused:

It wasn’t that (for one thing, I think it was in colour), but it was definitely horrifying in its own way.