Edward the VIII - Abdication

The children of Charles I’s daughter Henrietta were excluded, although only her daughter Anne Marie d’Orleans had children.
Anne Marie’s descendants included Louis XV of France and Ferdinand VI of Spain.

Issue of James VII and II: In addition to Mary and Anne, in 1689 James II had 2 living legitimate children - James (the “Old Pretender”), and Louisa (who died unmarried). The younger James later had two children of his own.

Issue of Charles II: Charles II had at least a dozen children, nearly all still living in 1689, but none of them were legitimate.

Issue of Charles I: Apart from Charles II and James II, Charles I had two children who themselves had children - Mary, who married into the House of Orange and was the mother of William III, and Henrietta, who married into the House of Orleans. She was dead by 1689 but had two living children, one of whom had married into the House of Savoy and already had two living children of her own. She went on to have several more.

Issue of James VI and I: James I had had seven children, one of whom was Charles I. Five died without issue, mostly in infancy, and seventh, Elizabeth, married the Elector Frederick V and had numerous issue. Sophia, who was named as successor to the Crown in the Act of Settlement of 1701, was Elizabeth’s twelfth child; Sophia’s surviving older siblings, and all their issue, would have had a stronger dynastic claim than she did. As it happens, only one of her older siblings was alive by 1689 - Louise Hollandine, and not only had she become a Catholic but she had become a nun. But there were numerous living children and grandchildren of her deceased brother Charles Louis of the Palatinate, and of her deceased brother Edward of the Palatinate. Charles Louis had seventeen children, all of whom were either illegitimate, died childless or married into Catholic families; Edward became a Catholic and had three Catholic children.

So that was the position in 1689. In a nutshell (apart from the descendants of James II) the House of Savoy descendants of Charles I, the descendants of Charles Louis of the Palatinate and the descendants of Edward of the Palatinate all had stronger dynastic claims than Sophia and her descendants. By the time Anne died, 18 years later, all three groups were thoroughly Catholic (so far as legitimate issue were concerned) and had become quite numerous.

Thankyou! That’s exactly what I was driving at :slight_smile:

Thanks. I couldn’t google up a decent family tree that would trace descendants for me. I found Henrietta and her children. But I missed Sophia’s siblings.

Roy Jenkins, in his masterful bio, quotes a 10 Downing Street aide who said, “When Churchill was right, there was no one better. But when he was wrong,* my God!”*

She was Princess Charlotte of Wales, not “Charlotte, Princess of Wales,” right? The latter would suggest she were either Princess of Wales by marriage (as her mother was), or divorced from the Prince of Wales (as the former Lady Diana was). She took her title from her father, who was Prince of Wales: Princess Charlotte of Wales - Wikipedia

Yes she was, correct.

:smack:
Replied without realising this was an old thread. Sorry guys. :frowning:

No worries. Nice to be backed up, even four years later.