El Topo is just stupid!

The first assumption is reasonable, the second not so much. A work of art isn’t a test tube whose contents can be easily quantified and assessed (as if what’s “there to understand” is a known quantity that’s the same for everyone), so even if someone’s reaction to it seems to be absurd - or even if someone can’t specifically nail down what it is they like about the work - I don’t see any basis for dismissing reactions as posturing.

ZebraShaSha, that was an excellent post.

El Topo was reportedly John Lennon’s favorite film. Jodorowski’s next film, The Holy Mountain, was financed by John and Yoko. That flick is far more weird and bizarre than El Topo, IMO, but both of them are extremely allegorical. What the allegories represent isn’t always clear.

El Topo, the protagonist character in the movie, seemed to be on a mission to end evil and/or search for the meaning of life, but was ultimately blinded (or perhaps horrified) by what he found. [spoiler---->] The movie ends with El Topo suicidally self immolating in the style of Vietnamese Buddhist monks.

El Topo is sort of a Western style film, and it’s heavily infused with religious and philosophical symbolism and sometimes shocking scenery. I’m not saying that it’s deep, but the film certainly attempts to be deep.

El Topo does kill the outlaws who abuse the monks, if it makes you feel any better. You should watch the whole film before judging it. Besides, you missed the later scenes including the one with the fighting double amputees and another with a topless midget.

I can’t stomach Jodorowski for even half a second. El Topo is just another meaningless entry in a meaningless canon of work. I’ve tried, lord knows I’ve tried.