Elderly School Rap fans, help a girl out

She did not check herself and, therefore, wrecked herself.

Yes, I see. An important distinction.

What I don’t get is the second ‘so’ before saditty. Just one ‘so’ seems like it would have worked fine.

ETA: I don’t think anyone would have thought it was ‘social security’ without the second ‘so.’

Sometimes you say “so” twice for emphasis. Such as a person saying, “I’m so, so sorry.” That’s a way of conveying that you are so very sorry.

In this case, she was so so saditty. Not just regular saditty, or even so saditty, she was so so saditty. Really, really snobby. Which is why it’s ironic she ended up with a pimp. Or maybe it was her hubris that led her there.

It could also be the case that the extra syllable flowed better. Second “so” for a better flow, that’s the way the old school rappers go. (Imagine a beat box sound as you read that.)

In fact she was so saditty I added an extra “so” in the OP to emphasize even MORE how much saddity she was and NOT because I mis-wrote it. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

I think the best summary is that provided by The California Law Review

The second verse of The Message also speaks to the racial tensions surrounding Black and minoritized women’s employment, welfare, and social security during this era. Concluding the crazy lady’s narrative, Melle Mel raps, “She went to the city and got so, so saditty / She had to get a pimp, she couldn’t make it on her own.” Here, we see low-income women venturing outside of the ghetto (and into Manhattan) for financial gain. In some cases, they make enough social progress to be perceived as “saddity,” or associated with a higher social class.

Which movie or tv show is it where one of the male characters is mumbling the line under his breath “Don’t push me cause I’m close to the edge, I’m trying hard not to lose my head” ?

Happy Feet.

I read somewhere that he said “that cyanide girl”

Maybe that’s why he left it out of the lyrics sheet.

Two music lyrics answers in one thread!