Election fraud in the US: what can we do?

So it would seem, Socrates.

It’s a poll tax. Calling it a different name doesn’t change what it is. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc… it’s a duck.

Then we should have a very interesting case come out of Missouri soon. I know they buried provisions in the legislation about offering assistance for low-income people. Didn’t give those programs any funding… but I wonder if it was enough to cover the Constitutional butts.

From the New York Times

Of course, Ohio was the scene of the crime in the 2004 presidential election theft. Blackwell may be the most blatant example of partisan election rigging, but there are likely others doing things under the radar. The nation needs election reform and until it comes, I don’t trust the outcomes. From the registration process to thugs intimidating potential voters to black box ballot manipulation there are simply too many opportunities for vermin like Blackwell to do their dirty work.

What the voters can do is make election reform an issue. Write to congressmen, write to the news media and demand that this issue is discussed in the campaign. This will go on until the politicians realize that the people won’t stand for it.

Any such “agency” would simply be captured by some interest or other. About the only system that would actually work is one that creates an objective mathematical criterion for “compactness” (e.g. a district must include x% of the land area within a circle that contains the entire district).

Fining people for expressing the opinion that the political system is invalid is anathema to a free society.

Personally, I’d do away with withholding and have a drop box for your annual tax check right in front of the polls. (That would at least eliminate failure to vote out of simple laziness, since showing up for that part would be mandatory. You could still leave without voting if you’d decided that all the candidates and/or the system generally sucks.)

Strictly speaking, they already are so required if they require ID documents to vote (as they should, for obvious anti-fraud reasons) – otherwise, the cost of the document would be a poll tax.

It most certainly does not cover their Constitutional butts. The Constitution does not say “no poll taxes unless you means-test them”. It says “no poll taxes”, period.

My Og! Is that shitstain Blackwell still Ohio’s SoS? :mad:

Many countries – e.g., Canada – have a nonpartisan agency to draw electoral boundaries, and to run the elections; and AFAIK, they seem to work well enough without being “captured” by any “interest.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_Canada

Failure to vote != “expressing the opinion that the political system is invalid.”

He’s on the fast track to the White House, don’t you know? Why, just look at what election-rigging has done for Katherine Harris’ political career!