Elevators and death

The Mythbusters did a show on elevator myths several years ago where it was necessary to disable an elevator’s brakes and safety devices to test, AIRC, whether jumping at the bottom would save you. It took them an incredible amount of effort to get an elevator, even in an abandoned building, to the point where it would free fall. (But no, jumping wouldn’t help.)

I think Cecil did a column on elevators once and mentioned that up to this point, only 5 fatal accidents worldwide had been reported, so by deaths per miles travelled, it beat every other mode of transport.

Now, I know there are classes to help overcome people their fear of flying, that work with a combination of a ton of facts on the double and triple safety back-up systems and relaxation techniques. I guess enough people have this that it’s worthwile. Have you talked to a therapist about getting help for your anxiety problem, too?

Or do you always take the stairs with the benefit of that being healthier because of the exercise?

I can quite understand your fear, though - countless Hollywood movies show people dying when elevators suddenly plunge. But then, Hollywood doesn’t want to let little things like facts get in the way of [del]good[/del] storytelling / horror. Similar as to having sounds in space, and laser beams move less slower than light…

I was on an elevator in Los Angeles last week that had a great sign urging us not to panic in the event of malfunction as there was “little chance” of running out of air. I would prefer a bit more confidence from the sign makers.

Well yes, it could be worded better, but that they put a sign up at all is already a concession. I think in Cecil’s column it’s mentioned that you won’t suffocate in an elevator, because they are (partly on purpose for this) built not airtight, and there are tiny slits, holes or cracks between the roof and the walls where air can come in. If you panic and use much more oxygen then normal, and notice it starts to smell stale (which doesn’t say anything about O2 content, of course), you could do more damage to yourself than by staying calm. Though probably, once you pass out, your breathing returns to automatic normal again…

The worst thing is probably picking which corner of the elevator is going to be the “bathroom.” Whenever I hear about people being trapped in an elevator over the weekend, I wonder how they could stand the stench.

This is a link to a New Yorker article about Nicholas White, a production manager at BusinessWeek who was stuck on an elevator for 41 hours, although HotSmoke may not want to read it. (Thanks to whoever originally linked to this article in a previous SDMB thread.) Aside from telling about this guy’s ordeal (BTW, he opened the doors and urinated into the open shaft), the article goes into some detail about how elevators work and the psychology of people in elevators.

I haven’t talked to anyone about it mainly because it is more of an anxiety,not really a phobia. I get uneasy in an elevator but I anm not in a foaming panic. I do try to take the stairs…if I can find them and if the door isn’t locked to the stairs.

OH MY GOD. I would be in a dithering panic.

It’s only a personal anecdote, but I was stuck in an elevator a little while ago (only for about 15 minutes). When I used the phone in the elevator to inform them of this fact, I found it interesting that the first question the guy asked me was: Are you claustrophobic?

Guess if I’d said yes, they’d have hurried more. Or something.

Just don’t do what this guy did:In Retrospect, I Guess We Might Have Resorted To Cannibalism A Bit Early

That was hilarious. I love the Onion.

He wanted to know if he needed to bring the bucket and mop.

That had to be put up as a prank.

That is an interesting question - if I say yes, do you release the tranquilizing gas? Cause, please do! Maybe if you say yes they stay on the line and try to calm you down. Or tell you dirty limericks. Or something.

In January 2006, a hydraulic elevator (an Otis) failed in a downtown Toronto building, plummeting 5 stories until it hit the bottom. All five passengers were injured, but no one died.

ETA: linky.

Heh. That’s the best username/post combination I’ve seen today.

Dewey Finn, thanks for the New Yorker link - fascinating. I have a framed print of the Frank Lloyd Wright design for a mile-high skyscraper referred to in the article.

Unless you’ve got a cite, I’m calling bullshit on this one. The elevator cars don’t form anything like an airtight seal against the walls of the shaft, particularly when you’ve got a bank of half a dozen elevators in the same shaft, all at different floors. Burning jet fuel could not have driven these elevators downward.

It is rather simple to get an elevator outer door open with no car at the floor. There is a hole in the outer door that allows a tool to be inserted and the latch is easily lifted.

here is a set of these tools that can be purchased online.

Most elevators I have worked on use the fifth tool from the left.

Don’t let an inspector see you do that, car might get red tagged in Ca.

OPening a door if you know how is easy, you can also string it.

Newer buildings have seperate shafts for each car.