Eliminate corporate taxes?

Simply because it makes it darned difficult to work out how much you actually spent on taxes in a given year. If I spend more, my tax burden goes up, but unless I have an idea of how much I actually spend (on non-VAT-exempt items, at that), I don’t really know how much tax I’ve been forced to shoulder.

pan

Hmm. It seems to me that this is so under any tax scheme, though, apart from a strict percentage sales tax. For example, the taxes I pay in gasoline might be less than someone who owns a four door sedan, even if everything else was equal (including the cost of the car), because gas has its own taxes on it. Similar situation for “sin” taxes on alcohol and cigarettes.

That being the case, though, it is a lot of work (altering the tax code) to have essentially the same situation.

Well erislover, if you want to look at a recent real-world model you could look at Canada’s switch to the “Goods&Services Tax” which replaced the old Manufacturer’s Sales Tax. Not a perfect analogue but you might find it instructive. (one thing for sure, it didn’t endear the implementing political party to the public)

Here’s the wikipedia entry for an overview.

Hmm. I’ve been doing some research on this and as a result I’m beginning to waiver – on VAT being “bad”, at least. Firstly, from an economic “distortive” perspective, I give you a few things:

This is from a slightly tangentially-related United Nations University discussion paper, “Fiscal Policy and Private Investment in Less Developed Countries”

An interesting point. Then we have This rather more suspect but still intriguing cite from something called, disturbingly, “The Foundation”:

In response to that, I’d have to say that it is somewhat simplistic. Investment is good, but an economy also needs consumption (arguably consumer spending is the one thing keeping the UK and US economies going right now) and it is precisely this that VAT discourages.

And then we have a document that in many ways tackles this whole thing head on using empirical evidence: this from the Balikesir University Department of Economics (IS A VAT THE CHOICE OF REVENUE MAXIMIZING
GOVERNMENTS?)

The discussion is actually pretty interesting, if heavy-going and unfortunately the author seems much better at doing the analysis than writing about it afterwards. He’ll never make a consultant. And frankly I remain unclear whether the conclusion is in favour or against VAT from an economic perspective. But I highlight some points.

He produces a regression model of the economy to examine some empirical effects of different tax regimes. From Section 4, “Regression Results”:

So what does this mean? Unless I’m misreading it, it seems to mean that the higher VAT is, the LOWER the VAT revenue as a percentage of GDP is, and that the regression is highly significant! And that the higher VAT is, the lower VAT as a percentage of total tax is, and this is highly consistent in the data. Bizarre.

Which, of course, leads him to his conclusion:

If nothing else, as a small-government proponent, eris, I would have thought that this was highly significant to you.

The most interesting conclusion comes in section 5:

So this is a reiteration: a high sales tax means big government, whereas high VAT does not.

He then suggests a few reasons why this might be, which are not really of relevance here.

So there you go. I’m still trying to fit these arguments into my framework. After all, they don’t really prove things one way or the other. But they certainly suggest that VAT might not be the distortive, hidden revenue raiser that I have previously thought.

pan

Great find, sir! I’m going to print out all 40 pages of it and see if I can’t get it read today. It sounds like an interesting article. Certainly I like the idea of smaller government, but it is getting harder to know how to support all the well-argued programs you leftier people keep convincing me on with a small government :wink: