Emerson, Lake & Palmer how are they remembered these days? Did they leave any legacy in music?

My older brother (mid-teens at the time) played Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends till he wore out the grooves. Which was tortuous as my brother had an allergy to headphones. :rolleyes: That album lives up to the name: the definition of “interminable”.

I, for one, love to put on the full-length version of “Karn Evil 9” when I have a half-hour to spare and nothing to fill it with.

Really loved some of their stuff, loathed the rest. They do seem to be despised by a lot of people, though. I think they represent what a lot of people felt was wrong with music. They were the Nickelback of their time.

I do remember Anderson having a “stunt” flute that he would grab for twirling and such. Don’t know if it’s true, but someone told me one of the reasons was because if he twirled his real flute, there would be spit flying everywhere. Maybe a flute player can chime in on that.

Exactly.

The summer of 1973 I lived in a house with guys from school who were in a band doing prog rock covers - ELP and Yes, mostly. So I got a full dose, and listened to ELP for a while, but got over them. I much prefer some of Emerson’s solo stuff, especially Journey to the Center of the Earth (but not the sequel.)

LOL. Well, I am a flute player, and yes, the flute does get quite wet inside as it’s played. It’s mostly condensation from the player’s breath. Mostly. :wink:

I still have the Tarkus LP lying around somewhere. Maybe one of these days I’ll dust it off and see what I think.

My recollection of their music is that much of it was interesting, but cold. I could only listen to so much at a time.

Their legacy? Kinda like the Moody Blues, they really created a one-band niche. They didn’t open up new musical vistas for other bands to expand on. More of a cul-de-sac.

That was Rick Wakeman.

I dunno. I’d go with Wakeman there. Regardless, Emerson was certainly not “unchallenged” for piano chops specifically, as Wakeman is definitely in the conversation no matter who you think is better to your taste. I’d probably give Emerson the slight edge for synth stuff, though. For prog rock keyboardists in general, though, I’d go with Tony Banks myself.

nm

I must agree. TB didn’t necessarily have the flamboyant chops of Wakeman or Emerson, but his playing was incredibly tasteful, and he was a master at writing incredible melodies.