Empire Strikes Back, why did everyone assume Obiwan lied?

Well, yeah. But in Dune there weren’t entire ships dedicated to transporting the stuff across interstellar distances*.

*Your ship might be completely crammed with Spice, true, but it gets into a much vaster Guild ship which does the actual interstellar travel with your ship in it.

Don’t they basically move space around the ship? Not much need for a pilot if the ship isn’t going anywhere.

Vader kinda feels like “Vlad the Impaler,” too.

Nitpick: Adoptive mother. Though I can’t recall whether she knew she was adopted before Vader’s reveal.

Remember in the first movie, when Padme is disguised as one of her handmaids, while the handmaid pretends to be her? They should have kept the maid as a minor character in the next two movies, and had her be the one who takes Leia to Alderaan to raise as her own.

Alternatively, they could have named her Beru, and had a subplot about how she’s always bickering in the background with Padme’s chief of security, Captain Lars…

Don’t you remember the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Mr. Spock says, “The spice must flow.”

Search your feelings.

You’re confused. “The Spice must flow,” is what people said in 1984 before they went to Carousel.

Mr. Spock’s famous line was, of course, “Hasta la vista, baby.”

Make a Perception check.

Rule One: The [del]Doctor[/del] Jedi Lies.

When ANH came out, Lucas didn’t know 1) there’d be a sequel, B) Vader would become a major character in sequels, III) Luke and Leia were siblings, and 4th) Vader was the bio dad for Luke and Leia. So, Lucas didn’t have Obiwan lie to Luke in ANH.

Ranger Jeff, your numbering is off. It should be 4), F), VII), and 8th).

“Many Bothans died to bring us this information.”

Do you think they ever remembered kissing and got nauseous?

Leia: Luke, now I feel very uncomfortable about that kiss we shared.
Luke: (waves hand) We never kissed. You don’t remember a thing.
Leia: What was I talking about?

Wasn’t that Keira Knightley? I think her pay scale increased soon afterwards.

The meta reason is that it was at the end of the movie. A surpring revelation at the beginning of a movie or in the middle might turn out to be false (and thus drive the story in interesting ways), but a revelation at the end of a movie will be expected to be true by the audience.

Also, Luke’s mom doesn’t really exist in the narrative of the first three movies. The only time she’s mentioned is when Luke as Leia about her mom in Jedi - before that, there’s not a single reference to Luke’s other parent, not even obliquely, in the entire trilogy. In most stories, if there’s a question about someone lying about a major plot point, the audience is going to assume that it’s one of the characters already on stage, and not some third party they’ve never heard of.

Again the person assumed Vader was truthful, but he was NOT Anakin Skywalker, Vader claims to be Luke’s father but never claims to be Anakin.

There idea was that Anakin and Vader were two different characters, and Vader killed Anakin.

What I was wondering was why people in 1980 didn’t think:

“Wow Vader not only killed Anakin, he also secretly fathered Luke with Anakin’s wife!”

Sorry about that. I misunderstood the question. Miller has a good point though - if Luke’s mother was a character in the movie (or even a character that Luke mentioned from time to time) then the idea that she had cheated on Anakin with Darth would be a dramatic surprise, but without that, there’s not much point to it (IMHO).