Empire Strikes Back, why did everyone assume Obiwan lied?

Look, there’s no way Kenobi recognizes R2-D2. It’s confirmation bias based on watching the prequels.

Lucas did this with a lot of his characters. Vader was the most popular character in the first movie. So, his role got expanded, even to the point of becoming Luke’s father. Boba Fett’s toy was ridiculously popular, so Fett got tons of love, especially in the prequels. Jar Jar is unpopular? Drastically reduce his screen time in the other movies.

There is no “moment of clarity”, except as a fanwank. It is Russian revisionism. Lucas needed to take advantage of Vader’s popularity, so he re-wrote the character’s backstory accordingly for ESB.

Lucas knew the droids (especially R2) were popular with the kids and hardcore fans, so he wrote them into the prequels, despite the fact it made almost no sense.

Not that he’s around anymore to answer the question (nor would he have wanted to), but I’d wager any amount of money at any odds that Alec Guinness had no idea, at the time of filming, that his character recognized R2 at all.

And fans wank a lot, too.

No one is stating that in the 1977 movie Alec Guinness was told “you know he is R2D2 because you spent 3 years fighting a galactic civil war alongside him”. It was more like " this is not the first time this droid has been used to send a message to you’’. Especially since said droid knew where to find him. I think it’s quite clear that the audience is supposed to think that Obi Wan knows more than he lets on.
BTW. The eye role seem to have been Sir Alec being annoyed at being in such a stupid movie.

I like Darth Stroyer.

The possibilities are annoying:

Darth Ness: the Sith who works by night.

Darth Ipher: the codebreaker Sith.

Darth Isive: the Sith who never hesitates.

Darth Fiance: the rebellious Sith.

Darth Picable: the contemptible Sith.

Darth Pondent: the sad Sith.

Darth Pot: the anti-democracy Sith.

Darth Rigible: the plus-size Sith.

Darth Crepancy: the Sith who can’t balance his checkbook.

Darth Tic: the Sith given to extreme measures.

I’d debate that, actually.

He’s been hiding on a remote, desert planet for nearly 20 years to the point neither the princess nor the droid know his local alias (Ben vs Obi-Wan - a name he hasn’t used “oh since before you were born”). Sure, maybe he left a forwarding address when he went into hiding, but it doesn’t look like he’s been in contact with anybody important for a while.

Still seems like confirmation bias based on what fans saw in the prequels. Actually, it gives George Lucas too much credit for having planned all of it out. That’s almost certainly not the case.

Sure. But about galactic events and about Luke’s heritage and destiny. Not about some random droid he’s never seen before.

Maybe. He seemed to be ok with the movie until it came out and became ridiculously popular. He actually wanted to do a wise old wizard role and was generally favorable towards the production until screaming fans made it unpleasant for him. He just didn’t want his career to be defined by this one.

I read Alec Guinness himself campaigned Lucas to kill his character because he couldn’t stand the cheesy dialogue he was forced to recite.

Can you kill a force ghost?

Unless you mean in the first movie, but that was always deliberate. The hero’s mentor needs to disappear or die for the hero to advance.

As far back as 1980 Lucas was saying that the Artoo and Threepio would be in all the movies (which back then, as now, was 9).

The only reason R2-D2 knew where to look for Ben was because he overheard Luke tell Threepio about the crazy old hermit who lives out in the sticks. There’s even a definite “Oh, yeah?” reaction on R2’s part when he hears this.

He strikes out to look for Ben in the middle of the night because he’s been programmed to, and he’s not going to stop until he finds him.

Come to think of it, how was R2 supposed to find Obi Wan? “Somewhere on Tatooine” seems like it could take awhile.

The Force? Subspace chatter following the debacle off Yavin? His delayed recognition that “The Force is strong with this one”? :dubious:

However great The Force may be, it really wasn’t worth much in helping him recognize his own offspring. :rolleyes:

Darth Nefarious.

Land on the planet (Leia must have known he was hiding there, since that’s where her ship was heading when it was attacked) and hope for the proverbial “lucky break.” :rolleyes:

Well, of course; he’s just spied a cute, friendly little droid. I’d have the same reaction if I found a stray puppy or kitten. :rolleyes:

Futurama has, along with Darth Stroyer: Darth Urderer, Darth Sploder, Darth Trocious and Dath Ithead.

Surely it should be “Darth Farious”? I can almost imagine that as a real character name.

If you check out the newspost for that comic to see the names that inspired it, you’ll find that “Darth Farious” would have been way too subtle.

(Seriously: a Sith necromancer named Darth Andeddu. That was a thing that somebody actually put in a Star Wars book.)

It is supposed to be Darth Undead Du(de)?

When I read the comic in the link, I thought of Darth Couscous as name. He could use the Force to squeeze the water out of the semolina to dry it.

Am I the only one who reads Sherrerd’s list and thinks those guys all belong in the twenty-fourth-and-a-half century?

Near the beginning of “The Empire Strikes back”, Vader takes a video call from the Emperor:

Notice that the Emperor doesn’t even call Anakin “Anakin” to his face anymore. :slight_smile: (I realise this was a story telling trick in order to facilitate springing the surprise later on.)

So, once you go Darth, you abandon your past… by prentending that pre-Darth “you” was a whole 'nother person?

That’s from one of the molested versions, not sure if it’s the older theatrical SE or the DVD SE or even the BR SE, but in the original versions, the name Anakin is never used until Jedi.

It’s possible it may have been used in scripts, novelizations, adaptations, spinoffs, whatnot, but it didn’t get used on screen at all in Star Wars or Empire.