Encouraging Greed

You don’t leave the money on the dresser, you leave it on the pillow. If it is left on the dresser, they generally won’t know it’s for them.

what I leave on the pillow, ah heck, never mind. Anyone know that David Alan Coe tune?:smiley:

The money on the dresser is for the whore!

I leave tips for the housekeeper because it’s a hard job for lousy pay. I tipped the maid when I was sharing a hotel room with children. I’ve tipped the maid when I am out of town generally.

I am not always sure how much to leave them but I am making an effort, and am sure that they will appreciate what they get.

I usually have a notebook with me, so I can leave a note with the tip, because I have yet to stay someplace where there were tip envelopes, and would prefer that the housekeeper get the tip without management skimming, which happens sometimes.

This right here tells me the accepted paradigm is that you DON’T tip.

Unless somebody really wants to argue that 80% of people are cheapskates.

If that’s true, why aren’t those 80% doing that at restaurants?

Because they don’t know they are supposed to be tipping.

And now you have no more excuses. :slight_smile:

Sorry, but if the vast majority of people don’t do something, I fail to see how it is regarded as an expected behavior. It’s like getting mad at men for not wearing hats with a business suit when outdoors.

If the vast majority of people believe that the Earth is 6000 years old, that doesn’t make it so.

Tipping guide

Not the same thing. There’s no science to prove who deserves a tip and who doesn’t.

Seriously, who tips courtesy shuttle drivers if they don’t handle baggage?

And THIS is how ridiculous tipping expectations develop.

I tip at hotels and motels but I’m not sure that your argument holds water. If only 20% of people tip then its not really customary. I hate that tipping has crept into every interaction I have.

Do maids get minimum wage or tips minimum? If they get minimum wage then its not customary to tip. If there is a dividing line anywhere it is there.

No, I don’t think that dividing line holds up. For example, some hairdressers do make at least minimum wage (though many don’t; they may work on commission or rent a chair from the salon), but it’s still expected to tip hairdressers.

For another example, hotel bellhops and valet attendants are also customarily tipped, although they generally do earn at least minimum wage.

Oh, it’s each day? Oops. I just left $14 on the room’s desk before checking out after a 7-day stay.

Yeah, that’s what I do. I wonder if I tipped each day they would bring me new envelopes.

I don’t worry about it much though, as the places I normally stay have the same housekeeper the whole time.

Is that were you’re supposed to leave the tip? I just wrap a dollar around a rock and chuck it into the pool.

At all times of year?

I’m going to take a trip starting Friday with motel stays in Iowa, Indiana, North Carolina and Virginia, all at Super 8’s. I’m going to have to look for these tip envelopes and key trays. I doubt the key trays will exist as every motel I’ve stayed in for the last several years uses key cards.

As long as i have a couple of bucks, and I try to, I do. Last time was the shuttle to the car dealer for a couple round trips. And the driver had years of experience and related several interesting pieces of information over the course of those trips.

I’m still in SHOCK that this entire thread didn’t turn into a flame war against the OP for claiming that there are no such thing as hotels.

In the past 10 years I’ve stayed in probably 300 hotels and have never seen an envelope for tipping the maid. I mostly travel in the midwest and mostly stay in Hilton properties (Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden, Hilton). It’s news to me that I should be tipping. Even the B&B’s I’ve been in haven’t had envelopes.
Kelevra

No it wasn’t the working class alone, there is plenty of blame to go around. There was a time before a minimum wage was set, that businesses took advantage of the working class, by sweat shops etc. The companies just kept raising their prices to keep making a bigger profit. There was a time that I recall, during the depression, that people who worked were honored by others, honesty etc, were rewarded. Now we, for some reason seem to build up people like “The Donald” who go bankrupt, then think nothing of the people who lost money and jobs, and are still called wealthy, I believe if they own other business’s they should be made to pay the people and other businesses, that they left in the cold!

It is a losing battle for the working man, if he gets a higher salary, the businesses just raise the price of things. There was a time when there was a limit on how much interest one could charge.Easy credit encouraged some people to live beyond their means, and should an emergency come up they lost everything.

Now, too many want to get rich by either sueing some one, or winning the lottery. If one looks deep into the lives of some of the wealthy, it doesn’t seem to make them happy, so many use drugs etc, in areas where gambling has become the thing, it makes more poor people poorer when they spend so much on the hope of winning their way to riches!One need look to Las Vegas, and Now Illinois where gambling was supposed to cure the money problems, there is more problems now, then before it had the first lottery, that was supposed to be used for education!