Endangered-Species-Must-Die

some reasons…(see previous threads on this topic too)

(1) ignorance — we don’t know which species are important to the overall ecosystem and which are “expendable” (we need a healthy ecosystem for our own survival)

(2) morality — other species have a right to life too…if it’s their natural end, then fine…but if it’s due to humans, then we should fix what we mess up

(3) economics — it’s cheaper to let other species clean our air, soil, and water than to do it ourselves

(4) aesthetics — a bio-diverse world is preferrable to a world of only humans and cockroaches

Because some people like having them around. Hey, I didn’t say it was a good reason.

Why does it make you angry to see nice places for humans built?

Oh, I see now why it angers you. You hate people. Got’cha.

Why is it completely wrong to change the environment to suit our needs? If a few animals go extinct because we need, or want, places to live what’s the problem?

Granted I want clean air and water as much as the next guy. I find it a valid arguement that pollution can harm human beings. And for that reason I’d like to see it cut down.

So you don’t use electricity, the sewer system, or drive an automobile?

That lifestyle was so great that’s why our ancestors abandoned it as soon as possible. There are still places in Canada and Alaska where you can live like that if you choose.

Marc

Well gee. That would imply that man was not a natural part of the environment.

Marc

A reasonable distinction. We’re different from the other species due to consciousness, tool-making, ability to adapt to virtually any habitat, and other factors too numerous to go into here.

To pretend we’re ‘just another species’ is an idiotic pretense of naivete that holds no water whatsoever.

I intended to mention Max the Immortal’s dead panda song, but was, of course, too late. But at least I’m pleased to see all the words. BTW, I think it MIGHT have been by the Bare Naked Ladies, but it was a long time ago.

Celyn, your’e close.

From the Corky and the Juice Pigs official site:

This has been going on since life first showed up on our lovely little planet called Earth. In history, there have been literally MILLIONS of animal species that have died out. It’s the natural evolution of this planet. We get ourselves into trouble when we try to control nature. A good example is the idiot scientists who think they can control vegetation by culling elephant herds. They say the elephants are over grazing and killing off the vegetation. Well, this also has happened in the past. When the vegetation is over grazed, the elephant population drops due to lack of food. This causes a rise in vegetation growth, which in turn, offers opportunity for growth in the size of elephant herds, which will inevitably over graze, and so on, and so on, and so on… It’s a delicate balance that has been going on for hundreds of thousands of years, and suddenly we come along, thinking we’re all high and mighty, and seeing as how we’re the “dominant” species, it is our duty to control such things. I’m telling you, people, we’re heading for trouble, and it won’t be from animals becoming extinct. It’s coming from our own hands. You can NOT control nature. It controls us. It dictates what happens to us, and all the other animals, trees, etc., that exist on the earth today.

Back off. Let Mother Nature do her job.

i dont like this idea anymore. of course we should be trying to save the species we’ve fucked over, but its just stupid and hypocritical if we dont also change our excessive lifestyles at the same time. Gibson, i do use electricity, and i prefer to shit in a toilet, but i do not drive an automobile. the proliferation of cars is probably one of the worst, if not THE worst cause of pollution, and i try to do my part there. the reason im angered by the forests being replaced by suburbs is: a) where am i supposed to smoke weed? and b) theres far too many humans already, and we’re making room for more? oh well, im certain that the human race is headed for disaster. its all in Bio 30: a species’ population balloons, theres record numbers, it pushes the capacity of its environment, and then its numbers plummet, mass death. hopefully when that happens to us, the few of us who are left wont make the same mistakes we did.
if you dont believe me, next time your in a busy place, like downtown, the mall, whatever, just take a look around and observe the gluttonous excess that we live in. our society is busting at the seams.

Nonsense! Other species have those same capabilities…humans are just particularly clever. What is naive is to not recognize these abilities in other species, no matter how limited. There have been a couple recent threads on this very topic.

Also, H. sapiens sapiens evolved from previous species - - was there some disconnect that suddenly separated us from the natural world once we stood upright or uttered our first word?

The new first song on our new album. This is not a Rebels song. This is the Panda.
After dark, the pandas stalk
Nightmare creatures, with black hearts.
Ravenous teeth, that glow in the dark.
Feasting on bums that sleep in the park

The pandas are coming, so hide under your bed
The pandas are coming, they’ll rip your ass to shreds.

The panda is indeed the most mysterious of all creatures. Shrouded in the enigma of it’s black and white coat- what kind of camoflague is this, black and white? Hiding in an oreo factory? Could be. That is just another chapter in the ominous saga of the panda.

The pandas are coming to rip of your head,
The pandas are coming on a rampage of the dead.

*Like the shark, the panda has millions of teeth, which it uses like a hacksaw to cut through bone, candy, and fences. The Chinese believe that if you find a discarded panda tooth, you have the power to summons Godzilla.

I’m drunk on panda mystery.*

The pandas are coming so hide under your bed,
the pandas are coming to rip your ass to shreds.

This has been chapter one in my ongoing songs about the panda, which shall cease after number eight-hundred and twenty.

Case for discussion: Bald Eagles.

We drove bald eagles to the brink of extinction with DDT. In fact, IIRC, they were extinct in the lower 48 states, and remained in the wild only in Alaska and parts of Canada.

We banned DDT, criminalized the killing of bald eagles, and then made a conscious effort to re-introduce bald eagles in the wild. Result: Last week, I saw a bald eagle in the wild on a trip to Florida. This would have been unthinkable 20 years ago, but there s/he was.

Should we have simply allowed the bald eagle to drift into extinction? What do I gain from the continued existence of bald eagles? In absolute economic terms, probably not a darned thing. But I’ll be damned if I want to live in a world populated solely by humans, domesticated animals and pests.

Beauty and nature have a value not measurable solely in economic terms.