Ending in -a

satan has powers… and have you seen his pic??? looks just like Jesus too!!! haha :slight_smile:

The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what I’m left with is the memory of having learned
something very wise that I can’t quite remember. -George Carlin

Thanks, Satan, for totally screwing up my server. You are truly the Dark Prince.

BTW, are there any words in the English language that end in -b? (Words like “blab” don’t count, because they are …)
Oh, never mind …

Well, luckily, someone listed ‘zebra’ in an earlier post, which flagged me to use my browser’s ‘Find’ to jump to ‘zebra’ in Satan’s list. First time I ever found any use for that animal.

I think Satan is just trying to prove there are worse things than those who read fiction. . .i.e., those who play scrabble. :wink:

Maybe JWK could inform us as to how come there are so few native words in Modern English ending in ‘-a’, in spite of the fact there were “lots” in Old English, as he says. Were there generic shifts that substituted the '-a’s out, or what were the mechanisms – loss of tenses or declensions? An effect from the pronunciation of French?

‘Sea’, ‘lea’ ‘plea’ (well, originally Latin) ‘yea’ are four others in the ‘tea’, ‘pea’, ‘flea’ series. ‘Tea’, however, isn’t native English, of course. Like the tea itself, the English had to get the word from overseas.

I guess ‘ha’ and ‘aha’ (no etymology given in my dictionary) would be considered an international expression standardized by and from direct, uncoded neural reaction.

How ‘bout ‘gotta’, ‘lotta’, ‘hasta’, ‘wanna’, ‘gonna’, ‘gotcha’, ‘betcha’, mighta’, ‘woulda’, ‘coulda’, ‘shoulda’ ?

Ray

I WISH I had more time on my hands. I have a Scrabble CD-ROM called Frances which is designed for “serious Scrabble players.” It makes custom word lists by setting parameters. In this case, I simply typed in 15 tiles (the most possible in Scrabble) and hit *A which tells it any number of letters ending in A.

I’ll work on the “Words ending in -B” list when I get home tonight, since the CD is at home. :wink:

Too bad Satan’s list wasn’t a song lyric.

Then an admin could edit it out for copyright …

:smiley:

Bob the Random Expert
“If we don’t have the answer, we’ll make one up.”

As promised, words ending in B! Only 243 such words, so I hope this isn’t a server-buster, kiddies:

AB
ABSORB
ACERB
ADSORB
ADVERB
ALB
ANTISNOB
APLOMB
ARB
ARDEB
BACKSTAB
BAOBAB
BARB
BATHTUB
BEACHCOMB
BEDAUB
BEDUMB
BENUMB
BIB
BIBB
BICARB
BLAB
BLEB
BLOB
BLOWJOB
BLUB
BLURB
BOB
BOMB
BOOB
BUB
BULB
CAB
CABOB
CARB
CAROB
CATACOMB
CELEB
CHEMISORB
CHERUB
CHIMB
CHORIAMB
CHUB
CLIMB
CLOMB
CLUB
COB
COBB
COBWEB
COCKSCOMB
COMB
CONFAB
COOMB
CORNCOB
CORNCRIB
CORYMB
COULOMB
COWHERB
COXCOMB
CRAB
CRIB
CRUMB
CUB
CUBEB
CURB
CURRYCOMB
DAB
DARB
DAUB
DEB
DEMOB
DESORB
DIB
DISTURB
DITHYRAMB
DIVEBOMB
DOORJAMB
DOORKNOB
DRAB
DRIB
DRUB
DUB
DUMB
DWEEB
EBB
ENTOMB
ENWOMB
EXURB
FIB
FIREBOMB
FLAB
FLASHBULB
FLUB
FLUBDUB
FOB
FORB
FORELIMB
FUB
GAB
GAMB
GARB
GIB
GLIB
GLOB
GOB
GRAB
GRUB
HABOOB
HEARTTHROB
HECATOMB
HERB
HOB
HOBNOB
HONEYCOMB
HUB
HUBBUB
IAMB
INTERCLUB
INTOMB
JAB
JAMB
JIB
JIBB
JOB
KAB
KABAB
KABOB
KEBAB
KEBOB
KERB
KNOB
KOB
LAB
LAMB
LANDGRAB
LIB
LIBLAB
LIGHTBULB
LIMB
LOB
MEMSAHIB
MIB
MIDRIB
MIHRAB
MILNEB
MINICAB
MINILAB
MOB
NAB
NABOB
NAWAB
NEB
NIB
NIGHTCLUB
NOB
NUB
NUMB
ORB
OUTCLIMB
OUTCLOMB
OUTTHROB
OVERDUB
PEDICAB
PERTURB
PLEB
PLUMB
POTHERB
PREFAB
PROVERB
PUB
REABSORB
REB
RECOMB
REDUB
REHAB
REPLUMB
RESORB
REVERB
RHOMB
RHUBARB
RHUMB
RIB
ROB
RUB
SAB
SAHIB
SANDDAB
SCAB
SCARAB
SCRUB
SERDAB
SHRUB
SIB
SIBB
SILLABUB
SILLIBUB
SKIBOB
SLAB
SLOB
SLUB
SLURB
SNIB
SNOB
SNUB
SOB
SORB
SPARERIB
SPIDERWEB
SQUAB
SQUIB
STAB
STOB
STUB
SUB
SUBDEB
SUBSHRUB
SUBURB
SUCCUMB
SUPERB
SUPERBOMB
SUPERCLUB
SWAB
SWOB
SYLLABUB
TAB
TAXICAB
THINGAMABOB
THROB
THUMB
TOMB
TUB
UNCURB
UNDERSHRUB
UPCLIMB
URB
VERB
WAB
WASHTUB
WEB
WELLCURB
WOMB
YOB
ZINEB

Is there a second-order Hell for Satans?

Ray

Satan does his job well, don’t you think? I feel like I’ve been thru hell already . . .

I didn’t know “blowjob” was allowable in Scrabble, or did you just slip that one in to see if we were paying attention?

Therealbubba

Memo to self: Never, ever click on this thread again.

How about words ending with that letter “E”? Do any exist in English? If so, could anybody list them? :slight_smile:

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

If ANYONE asks the Prince of Darkness for words ending in ‘C’, they deserve to be tossed into the pit for a LONG spell. :wink:

And as for YOU, Jacques Raymond, I hope that gag you are now feeling tied around your fingers is nice and comfy. :wink:

Dammit! Stop bringing this thread to the top! I can’t resist opening it – it’s like trying not to stare at a car wreck.

Or in this case, a cache wreck.

So stop! Please!

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Maybe it would be useful if you put up all the words of the English language here Satan. Just for reference. :slight_smile:

Did someone mention words that end with “c”? “Critic” comes to mind easily . . .

Hey, Satan, been to the Alphabet Song thread yet? Talk about a train wreck . . .

I have as much authority as the Pope; I just don’t have as many people who believe it! - George Carlin

OK I’ll say it. Geez Satan you gave him the whole… nine… you know the rest.

Loss of declension led to loss of -a.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

Gaudere: Actually I think bra comes from the french brassiere. So, nope, not purely english. In fact I don’t think there is much in the english language that is purely english.

pounce Brassiere is not French; the French word for brassiere is soutien-gorge. Brassiere is actually a brand name!